Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shut up! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Once again, I heard two women talking, and one said (with a tone so you knew what she meant), "Shut up!", which was an expression of incredulity. I wondered how that definition developed, though I could only find it in the Urban Dictionary of Slang, which we all know to be, shall we say, not all that scholarly.

Any other insights on this use of "Shut up!"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard it used in exactly the same way over here. I've no precise idea how it developed but it's not dissimilar to the common use of "I don't believe you/it!" used in the same way.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It may just be my perception but I've a feeling that usage developed in the USA and has been imported to the UK. I've really only heard it on US television programs. I'm sure there's an Eddie Murphy film where it's a repeated refrain, though I can't think at the moment which one.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
An Italian misreading of the term was a character in Silone's novel, "Bread and Wine." (Sciatap)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
there's an Eddie Murphy film where it's a repeated refrain

Beverly Hills Cop

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
quote:
there's an Eddie Murphy film where it's a repeated refrain

Beverly Hills Cop

That's the one!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It's also a term of derision. Jay Leno mentioned "Balloon Boy" during his monolog and questioned if it wasn't a hoax or publicity stunt. He offered that even Bernie Madoff, when he heard ahout the "accident", said "Shut up!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
SHUT UP WOMAN, GET ON MY HORSE

Ever since I saw this a few weeks ago, I can't get the godamn song out of my head. Two thirds of my thoughts end in oooooh sweet lemonade. It's like I'm doomed to a world full of horse cock, raisins, and miraculous space travel.