Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Co-incidence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Co-incidence Login/Join

posted
Having missed my chance at a timely response to Duncan Howell's interesting post, I'll put the thought here as the original thread has moved on.
quote:
Out of 43 U.S. presidents, ... John Adams, James Monroe and Thomas Jefferson all died on (of all dates!) July 4th.
It goes a bit farther. Adam and Jefferson, who had often been bitter political enemies (indeed, I believe Adams was the first head of state ever to voluntary step aside for a successor he opposed), died not just on the same calendar day but hours apart on the exact same day: July 4, 1826. Adams' last words were "Thomas Jefferson still lives," generally believed have been with hope and gratitude rather than competitively. Adams was unaware that Jefferson had died a few hours earlier.

Even more eerie, that particular July 4, U.S. Independence Day, was precisely the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, of which Jefferson was the principal author.