Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Swearing and getting away with it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swearing and getting away with it Login/Join

posted
Reading CW's "What Did You Say?" thread reminded me of this not dissimilar subject: did anyone as kids try to get away with swearing in front of adults? How? One my brother and I used to do (I can't remember where we got it from) was saying "Fuc...rying out loud" with an obvious longer-than-usual pause after the 'fuc' - but still short enough to leave a little ambiguity as to whether it was deliberate or not.

It amused us for a while, anyway. Roll Eyes

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Cat, weren't you a naughty girl! Wink

I remember saying Hey-soos Cree-stay in Spanish, and somehow saying it in Spanish made it seem not to be a swear word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Ack! My son is always trying to find ways to say bad words (he blames it all on the other boys at school). Currently, he is working on some "safe" way to say "ass". LOL He doesn't have any desire to say the "f" word because it is associated with kissing and girl stuff. EW!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
he is working on some "safe" way to say "ass".

How about, "She is just so s...ASSY!" Just send him my way! Razz

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "... remember saying Hey-soos Cree-stay in Spanish, and somehow saying it in Spanish made it seem not to be a swear word...."

I wouldn't have though the "Jesus Christ" was a swearword myself. An expostulation, maybe - even a blasphemous one to Christians - but certainly not a swearword.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm reminded of a cartoon that I saw many years ago depicting some naughty boys in a proper English boarding school scrwling,"fornicate" on the bathroom walls. Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
he is working on some "safe" way to say "ass".

How about, "She is just so s...ASSY!" Just send him my way! Razz

Boy, I'm really glad I didn't mention this when you were still within his hearing!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard, what is the difference then between a 'swearword' and blasphemy? I consider them to be the same, though I suppose you are right that it would make a difference what the person's religion is. I must be using the word 'swearword' wrong. Are 'swearwords' then the 4-letter words, and the like, and nothing religious oriented? As a Jew, then, would it be perfectly okay for me or a Muslim to say Jesus Christ? Now I am all confused about 'swearwords.' Confused

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Waaaay back when I was in school a perfesser used to say, "Zeus damn you!" He added that defunct gods don't get no respect! Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Ack! My son is always trying to find ways to say bad words (he blames it all on the other boys at school). Currently, he is working on some "safe" way to say "ass".

Why not just say donkey?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say a swearword could be blasphemous but need not be, or vice versa, of course.

To take the name of a deity in vain is maybe blasphemous but is not necessarily swearing.

Most UK swearwords are biological, and also frequently sexual, in nature.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I consider "God" and "Hell" and "Christ" as swearing. Am I the only one? The sexual and biological words of course I consider to be swear words too. Yet, they are different, and it does make sense to consider the former "blasphemy" and not "swearing."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yet, they are different, and it does make sense to consider the former "blasphemy" and not "swearing."

Why can't it be both blasphemy and swearing? This sounds like the kind of argument we had as kids. The OED Online says swearing is "The uttering of a profane oath; the use of profane language." That takes in quite a range of language. Look at blasphemy, swearing, and profanity in Wikipedia.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's helpful to know some swear words in other languages. Some favorite phrases we've used are:
holy merde!
Plonker head!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Or use rhyme instead, like 'clucking bell!'

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Or blaspheme imaginary and near-imaginary gods: e.g., Crom, Mitra, or Cthulu.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a good aphorism recently, which I am longing for a chance to use.

"He is one whom Dr Spooner would have described as a 'shining wit'"

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Do you actually say that? I'd love to hear you pronounce it all.

I like the clucking bell idea - I'll have to try to remember that in the heat of the moment. Also, I love the Spoonerism.

Thanks for the ideas, boys!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Do you actually say that? I'd love to hear you pronounce it all.

Every morning, as I shave. You don't ever want to hear me say it. Oh, no.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post