Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Changing meanings...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing meanings... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Bryson's "Mother Tongue" (scroll down to pp. 67-68) talks about changes in meanings of words. There were some excellent examples of how some words actually evolved so that the meaning is the opposite, for example, counterfeit once meant a 'legitimate copy.'

However, the most interesting discussion was about the mundane word 'nice.' It has meant 'stupid,' 'foolish,' 'extravagant,' 'elegant,' strange,' 'slothful,' 'unmanly,' luxurious,' 'modest,' 'slight,' 'precise,' 'thin,' 'sly,' 'discriminating,' 'dainty,' and then 'pleasant and agreeable.'

I just can't understand how a word could have that many meanings!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...However, the most interesting discussion was about the mundane word 'nice.' ..."

The word "nice" is often cited by critics who suggest that English is an imprecise language. Nonsense, of course. It's just that nice is an imprecise word and their are many times when imprecision is exactly what is required.

For example, I might want to say of a person, "...She's a nice lady...". That shows my genberal approval of the lady in question without my having to define just what it is about her that I admire.

Without that handy word I would have to think of more precise adjectives: honest, reliable, tender, caring, well-spoken, intelligent, smart and so on. And such precise descriptions, apart from being more time-consuming to convey, may not be appropriate at that stage of a conversation or relationship.

I believe that the English language's vast store of words, from the very vague to the very specific, is one of its great strengths.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I well remember one of my English teachers, Alfie Knott, used to fulminate against the use of "nice" in our writing ("We went to the zoo and had a nice time"). He called it a namby-pamby word with no real meaning.

Alfie, by the way, joined the school as a student teacher in the early 1930s and stayed there for his entire career. When he retired he taught voluntarily in East Africa for five more years. Shortly after his return to England he opened his front door to a caller one morning and was shot by a gunman. The caller had mistaken his house for that of a gangland boss nearby, apparently. Luckily Alfie made pretty much a complete recovery, and so far as I know he is still alive, despite presumably being in his 90s by now.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Nice

I think that the reason Kalleh (and Bryson) brought up nice is because it went from meaning 'ignorant' to 'wanton, profligate' to '(mildly) pleasant' in the course of a millennium or so. As for its current multiple meanings, remember context is important. It would have been nice if Bryson had cited sentences for each of its meanings.

We went to the zoo and had a nice time

Not sure what old Alfie was on about, but if somebody uttered that sentence within my hearing or wrote it on the blackboard prior to making a speech, I'd have a fairly good idea of what it meant. Sorry to hear that he was shot, but if he'd lived in England it couldn't have happened. Oh, wait, er ...

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Then meaning shifted so frequently and radically that it is now often impossible to tell in what sense it was intended, as when Jane Austen wrote to a friend, "You scold me so much in a nice long letter ... which I have received from you".

I really loved that comment. It could have meant something much different than we have thought.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I well remember one of my English teachers, Alfie Knott, used to fulminate against the use of "nice" in our writing ("We went to the zoo and had a nice time"). He called it a namby-pamby word with no real meaning.

It isn't just in English where people feel this way. One of my former German teachers always used to get very impatient with anyone using the word nett (which means nice) for exactly the same reason.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Wie nett.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Funny how no-one ever fulminates about 'good' or 'big' or 'long'. That shows the animus against 'nice' is unthinking: they read somewhere that it's bad.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
At one of the many "development" workshops I've been to over the past few years (don't worry, Richard - I really love being trained!), they did an exercise where they took a list of 'vague' words and had everyone in the room quantify them. Then they shared the results.

For instance, "a few" was quantified as being any number from 2 - 7, "some" being anything from part of 1 to 10 or so. It was an interesting exercise, meant to show that supervisors should choose from the many more precise words in our language rather than allowing vague notions to creep into our evaluations and memos.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like a great workshop! Why do I have to spend gadzillion hours learning about the balanced scorecard? Roll Eyes

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh, Kalleh - that's nothing! The really fun stuff is when I get "sent" to the National Storytelling Festival! Wowza! Talk about lovers of words!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Quote "...Now that sounds like a great workshop! Why do I have to spend gadzillion hours learning about the balanced scorecard? ..."

As we trainers are wont to say, "It's not the topic that makes the training event it's the trainer"

A good trainer could run an enjoyable and effective course on watching paint dry.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

A good trainer could run an enjoyable and effective course on watching paint dry.

Yes, but only a mediocre manager would send anyone to it . . . unless it was in Hawaii and she sent herself!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Quote "...Yes, but only a mediocre manager would send anyone to it . . . unless it was in Hawaii and she sent herself..."

Not so. The first part of any training intervention is to establish the need. Providing there was a need to know about the physics of drying paint (and I would imagine there are many people in paint-related jobs to whom this would be important) then the course would be appropriate and, if properly designed and delivered, interesting and enjoyable as well.

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, Richard. Well, actually I'm sitting. I am, however, still corrected.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Mind you, as one who makes his living from training I suppose I might just be a little biased... Wink

Richard English

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first part of any training intervention is to establish the need.

The classic example of the Super Salesman is The Music Man.

The only remedy for the newly discovered Trouble there in River City was to establish a Boys' Band, dressed in garments that the Music Man sold and playing instruments that he also was able to provide.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
quote:
The first part of any training intervention is to establish the need.

The classic example of the Super Salesman is _The Music Man._

The only remedy for the newly discovered Trouble there in River City was to establish a Boys' Band, dressed in garments that the Music Man sold and playing instruments that he also was able to provide.

Ahh - but Marian, the quintessential librarian - saw through the hooplah to see what was truly happening. He was selling hope! He was selling a dream! Selling the potential of each individual, convincing them to strive to be better than they were previously. What a guy, was Harold Hill. My hero!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What exactly is the difference between a "trainer" and a "consultant?"

I was very excited for this meeting on leadership in St. Paul, MN. However, today's sessions were mediocre, at best. We had an interactive session on "Appreciative Inquiry", looking at discovering, dreaming, dialoguing, and designing. We did this through this "World Cafe" methodology. By the end, all of us wondered how effective the day was.

In essence, we all got together in groups or one-to-one and talked about our dreams. It is fine to do once or twice, but to do that on and on all day was just beyond me! I ended up talking to this wonderful woman from Germany and gentleman from Ireland, and we just talked to get to know each other.

I am skeptical!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
What exactly is the difference between a "trainer" and a "consultant?"

About $150 an hour.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

About $150 an hour.

What's that line in King Lear wherein the Fool puns dollars and dolors? Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote "...What exactly is the difference between a "trainer" and a "consultant?"..."

A good trainer will also be a consultant; a consultant need not be a trainer.

To be a good trainer you need to know both the topic you are training and the skills of the training process. A consultant needs primarily to sell him or herself to the client company for lots of money.

That's why there are more mediocre consultants around than there are good trainers!

Trust me; I'm a trainer.

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
"Trust me; I'm a trainer. "

I suppose it's a little better to hear that than "Would you like to come see my etchings."

I always giggled at my hubby's favorite line "Take your clothes off, I'm an artist."

Big Grin

~Dalai Lama