Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    four great body blows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

four great body blows Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
quote:
Why—if I am not merely a laudator temporis acti, and I am reasonably sure I am not—was language better [in the 1940s when Simon was a graduate student]? And what started it on its downhill course? For one thing, standards in the schools were higher because education had not yet been dealt the four great body blows: (1) the student rebellion of 1968, which, in essence, meant that students themselves became the arbiters of what subjects were to be taught, and grammar, by jingo (or Ringo), was not one of them; (2) the notion that in a democratic society language must accommodate itself to the whims, idiosyncrasies, dialects, and shear ignorance of underprivileged minorities, especially if these happen to be black, Hispanic, and later on, female or homosexual; (3) the introduction by more and more incompetent English teachers, products of the new system (see items 1 and 2, above) of ever fancier techniques of not teaching English, for which, if the methods involved new technologies and were couched in the appropriately impenetrable jargon, grants could readily be obtained; and (4) television—the nonlanguage and aboriginal grammar of commercials, commentators, sports announcers, athletes, assorted celebrities, and just about everyone on that word-mongering and word-mangling medium that sucks in victims far more perniciously than radio ever did.

But in my graduate-school days there were still relatively prescriptive dictionaries, i.e., ones that distiguished between the incorrect and the correct use of words based on established practice, cultural tradition, the way of good writers; between preferred and suspect, or even unacceptable, pronunciations. Descriptive, or structural, linguistics had not yet arrived—that statistical, populist, sociological approach, whose adherents claimed merely to be recording and describing the language as it was used by anyone and everyone, without imposing elitist judgments on it. Whatever came out of the untutored mouths and unsharpened pencil stubs of the people—sorry, The People—was held legitimate if not sacrosanct by these new lexicon artists.

Oh, for the times when we tended to go by the second edition of Webster's International Dictionary and its derivitives, the pre-seventh-edition Collegiates, and other lexical authorities that, although not totally prescriptive, nevertheless indicated preferences and exercised a certain selectivity. With the coming of Webster's Third in 1961, descriptive linguistics had its resounding victory.

[John Simon. 1980. Paradigms Lost: Reflections on Literacy and Its Decline, pp.xiv-xv.]

Well, my eyes have been opened. Whoever never knew that women were a minority, and that TV commercials were written in Warlpiri?

[Fixed transcription typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
language must accomodate [sic] itself to the whims, idiosyncrasies, dialects, and shear ignorance

And spelling, it seems.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
That mistake was mine. I typed the passage in from a book, and it was late at night. I still disagree with him.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Its quite understandable that RE thought the error was in the book, by it's author.

<wink>

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Shufitz sets a new record with TWO apostrophe errors in one sentence.

<wink>

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Who says Americans don't do irony? Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its quite understandable that RE thought the error was in the book, by it's author.

I had assumed that the transcript had been copied and pasted; transcription errors I did not expect.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I had assumed that the transcript had been copied and pasted; transcription errors I did not expect.

When I post an excerpt like this from a book, I am almost always transcribing it. I'll start adding a caveat lector at the bottom.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll start adding a caveat lector at the bottom.
Unnecessary. Cavet lector is implicit in everything published on the net.Wink

posted Hide Post
I've just read Paradigms Lost and it's very entertaining, in a "I can't believe he wrote that!" sort of way.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
While I tend to be somewhat prescriptivist myself, I do believe Simon goes WAAAY over the top, thereby negating, or at least diluting any kernel of veracity he may have begun with.

"Caveat Lector:" What Hannibal said, in biting prose?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
the notion that in a democratic society language must accommodate itself to the whims, idiosyncrasies, dialects, and shear ignorance of underprivileged minorities, especially if these happen to be black, Hispanic, and later on, female or homosexual;

I find that statement, besides being ignorant, to be incredibly insulting to women.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find that statement, besides being ignorant, to be incredibly insulting to women.

Why, specifically?

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Was there ever a time when the language wasn't going to hell in a handbasket? Can anyone find more than one language commentator from any period anywhere ever who wrote about the dramatic improvement in writing quality over the previous generation?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The same applies to the present generation of Homo Sap.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why, specifically?

Because he says that women are "underprivileged minorities." When one considers that women account for approximately 50% of the human beings on earth, his comment about women being "a minority" doesn't even make sense. Besides that, the assumption that women are "underprivileged" is insulting. Yes, some women are underprivileged; so are some men.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's what he meant, although I agree that the sentence is not as clear as it might have been. He said "...and shear ignorance of underprivileged minorities, especially if these happen to be black, Hispanic, and later on, female or homosexual..."

What I think he meant was, "...and shear ignorance of underprivileged minorities...If these minorities happen also to be black, Hispanic, female or homosexual, then the effect is even worse..."

I agree that the sentence, as written, is inaccurate and, by implication, insulting to women.

This particular passage is a good example of the problems that can arise from trying to make a single sentence do too much work. Use full stops; they don't cost anything.

Richard English