Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Send him to the Ministry of Funny Walks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Send him to the Ministry of Funny Walks? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This found on the "This Is True" site:

Martin Johnson, the acting deputy
general secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, a
teachers' union in Britain, says the national school curriculum is
"totalitarian" because it focuses on academics. What should schools
teach, then? "Other" types of knowledge, he said. Like what? Like
learning how to walk properly. "There's a lot to learn about how to
walk. If you were going out for a Sunday afternoon stroll you might
walk one way," he says. "If you're trying to catch a train you might
walk in another way and if you are doing a cliff walk you might walk in
another way." (London Guardian) ...And if you're thinking of sending
your kids to ATL-led schools, run!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's talking about what we used to call Physical Education, or gym class? I am sure learning how to walk would be only one basic skill students might be taught at school.

Funny, I thought schools existed almost totally to teach academic subjects! Wonder how many people in the UK are taking this critique seriously?

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't you remember the old finishing schools, where young women from well-to-do families were taught the social graces, such as etiquette, manners, and poise?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There are vocational high schools in Chicago, but I don't like the idea. I think schools should teach academic subjects.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
There are vocational high schools in Chicago, but I don't like the idea. I think schools should teach academic subjects.

So do I. Unfortunately we are out of step with current thinking on the subject. Over here the Government seems to have the idea that if something taught doesn't directly lead you into employment then it isn't worth teaching. This is especially true in Further Education.

For a Government elected on the slogan "Education, Education, Education" it's a national disgrace that they now think that "education" and "vocational training" are synonyms.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a Government elected on the slogan "Education, Education, Education" it's a national disgrace that they now think that "education" and "vocational training" are synonyms.

I wonder whether this attitude has anything to do with the fact that the members of the present government will all have had excellent educations but few if any will have had vocational training? In their ignorance (and some of them are pretty damn ignorant) maybe they assume that everyone in state education already receives education of the high quality that they, in their public* and private schools were fortunate enough to have had.

*Just to remind US readers, public schools in the UK are not the same as those in the USA. Here they are the most expensive and exclusive of the private schools. "Free" education is only available at state schools (roughly the same as US public schools).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The ATL also has members in further education, at college level. Perhaps they will introduce an MA degree - Master of Ambulation - or a doctorate - Doctor of Strolling?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A vocational high school has existed in Portland for a century. Until recently it operated the only all-classical music station in town. I bet that was punishment for them there teenagers!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
We always had public vocational schools everywhere I've lived also: Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania. It is a parallel secondary school track for students who are not academically inclined, who are better with their hands. They learn such trades as auto mechanics, hair dressing or carpentry. They also are taught basic academic subjects such as business math, basic reading and writing that the student would need to survive in business, etc.

Within the regular academic high schools, students also are given a smattering of practical subjects, such as home economics and "shop," which is, I guess, basic carpentry and other "fix-it" type skills. This is usually taught at the middle school level, but students can follow through right to senior year with these courses as electives, in addition to the academics, if they want to.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We used to have an equivalent of your vocational high schools, but very few remain.

When state education was changed after the last war, thre were two main types of school introduced: "Grammar" schools were for the more academic students, and the less academically-gifted would go to "Modern" schools, where the emphasis was more on learning a trade.

In the 1960s it became felt in the world of education that this system was "elitist" and a new type of school was introduced, the "Comprehensive". This would be much larger and would theoretically contain a mix of abilities and cater for them all. In the 1970s and 1980s most local authorities became wholly "comprehensive", usually by amalgamating two or three Grammar and Modern schools.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post