Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Flexible orthography
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexible orthography Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I just read a good article about respellings, such as "phat" (meaning very good or sexy), "phishing" (meaning attending a Phish concert), or "phood" (meaning nutritionally enhanced products.) Jesse Sheidlower who runs the American office of the OED calls this "very flexible orthography."

There were many other examples, and now evidently the kraze of "K" is taking off too. However, the discussion of "OK" was interesting, which they described as the most American of words (I didn't know that!). Apparently it started with "oll korrect," which changed to "OK," first appearing in print on March 23, 1839.

I assume this kraze is mostly American? Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Kewl !!

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Michael Quinion has, as so often, an excellent article on "OK" at World Wide Words.

More is at The Word Detective.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Doesn't phishing also have a web meaning, something like trying to get people to send you their bank details over the internet?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's probably related to the use of ph in phone phreaking (for hacking Ma Bell).

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post