Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Global Language Monitor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Global Language Monitor Login/Join

posted
Ben Zimmer has a post about the GLM's "millionth word", and Paul JJ Payack responds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I read this yesterday. Too funny and too sad.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I've said before, he's very good indeed at monitoring Internet references to him and his "project". When I mentioned it briefly on my blog (which has an average readership of less than ten) he sent me an almost identically worded response withing 45 minutes of my making the post.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It was an interesting read, though. I rather enjoyed the banter between Payack and the linguists.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
"Catapostrophe". There you are - that's the millionth word - 3 months ahead of schedule.

Actually, it's clear enough to me that this whole saga is a con - possibly, as suggested, to create customers for this new book, Payack maybe hoping to emulate Lynn Truss's success.

I will not be one of those who will be dipping into his pocket.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Mr Payack's qualifications are to pontificate on the English language. The introduction to his book says that he "was studying comparative literature and dead languages" at Harvard; he is described elsewhere as "Harvard-educated". No mention is made of degrees.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my favourite bit, from Geoff Nunberg's comment:

quote:
GN: It's hard to avoid concluding that you're blowing smoke. If you can provide me with specific and sufficiently detailed answers to the questions I've asked here, though, I will absolutely apologize in public, and amend the Fresh Air piece on this that I taped for broadcast next week.

PP: No need to apologize.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I liked that, too, goofy. Wink

arnie, often in the U.S. when people have only attended universities, but for some reason haven't graduated (i.e., flunk out or whatever), they either say they "attended Harvard" or they were "educated at Harvard." I looked online to see if I could find actual degrees for Payack, but I couldn't find anything. I, too, wonder whether he actually graduated, and, if so, with what degree.

On the other hand, we must remember that Bush graduated from Yale (albeit with a C average).
quote:
he's very good indeed at monitoring Internet references to him and his "project".
We'll see if he monitors my site as I just wrote about him. However, my readership is even smaller than yours, Bob. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
often in the U.S. when people have only attended universities, but for some reason haven't graduated (i.e., flunk out or whatever), they either say they "attended Harvard" or they were "educated at Harvard." ... I, too, wonder whether he actually graduated, and, if so, with what degree.

Exactly! It was the wording that made me wonder precisely that.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
We'll see if he monitors my site as I just wrote about him.

Please cite the location of your site so I can catch sight of it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's the cite of my site. I think it's pretty funny that Bob's and my Blog have the same look.

I did wonder, though, what the plural of "doth" is.