Find
Notify
Tools

Stations Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I saw a newspaper headline today:
MINISTER: MAKE TRAIN STATIONS SAFER.

It took me a moment to realise why it looked "wrong" to me. Normally, we'd usually just refer to a "station". If we meant some type of station other than a train or railway station we'd say "bus station", "Underground station", "metro station", and so on; otherwise we'd infer "train".

Is this the same in the US?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It seems to me, at least living on the Left Coast of the US, that station needs to be qualified for train, gas, or bus. The stations I've spent the most time in are BART stations (like the Metro in other cities), but I would always qualify them.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I certainly agree with arnie's British usage. If someone said to me "I'll meet you at the station." I'd assume he meant the railway station. For any other kind of station (and bear in mind that we never use the phrase "gas station") he'd have to be explicit unless it could be inferred from the previous context of the conversation.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I agree with zmj. In Chicago we'd say train station or "L" station or bus station or gas station or subway station. Just plain "station" would be confusing.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There's also those stations of the cross in churches.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Of course, if you've ever watched "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey" they encounter aliens who's language consists only of the word 'stations'! I'm reminded here of Robert Sheckley's marvellous stories of first contact with aliens and the subsequent difficulties of establishing communication- so different from Star Trek where everyone conveniently speaks English- handy that.

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, the railways invented or popularised so many things - stations, timetables, trains, universal time, tickets - that it is often unnecessary to use the word "railway".

Indeed, the minister here referred to a "train station" when he actually meant a railway station since, when they speak of trains, most people mean railway trains. Indeed, some people even use the term "train" when they actually mean the locomotive - even if the locomotive is running light and quite innocent of a train.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
the minister here referred to a "train station"
I didn't read the full story, but I suspect it was the sub-editor (copy-editor in the US) who used the word "train". "Railway" would probably make the headline too long. Ironically, leaving out either word would make the headline more idiomatic (UK) English, as I said.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The word 'station' is used in transportation (bus station, train station) but also in communications (radio station; TV station). What's the etymological connection between the two senses?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
The word 'station' is used in transportation (bus station, train station) but also in communications (radio station; TV station). What's the etymological connection between the two senses?

Speaking off the toppa my head -- i.e. not bothering to look it up in my etymological dictionary -- isn't it that 'station' means place, location? The place where the bus stops; the place where the radio transmmitter is located. Then thhere's "station in life", your place in the social pecking order.

Davvid (who is being forced to used a keyboard withh bad de-bounce until my new one comes in)

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Station is from the Latin statio (stationis) from statum 'stood', past participle of sto 'to stand'. In the STates, we say taxi stand. The Latin words means 'standing' and 'a place where things stay/stand'. In military language it also has a meaning of 'a post; a position'. We still talk about a person's station in life sometimes. So, it's not just buses and trains standing about.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Related, I presume, to stanchion: an upright bar, post, or frame forming a support or barrier. I'll leave to others the joy of following up.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
(and bear in mind that we never use the phrase "gas station")
What do you call it, if not a "station"?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by zmjezhd:
past participle of sto 'to stand'.

So a stoic is someboby who just stands around and doesn't do anything? Wink Well, at night he could look up at the stare, stare night, I suppose. Or maybe he's not stoic, but stoned!

"One toke over the line, sweet Jesus, one toke over the line
Sittin' downtown in a railway station, one toke over the line
Waitin' for the train that goes home, sweet Mary
Hoping that the train is on time
Sittin' downtown in a railway station, one toke over the line." Eek

What about the Oz use of station? We'd call it a farm or ranch.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
(and bear in mind that we never use the phrase "gas station")
What do you call it, if not a "station"?

Although I concede that it's confusing we, at least around here, usually call it a garage.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Or, if we specifically want to emphasise that it's the type of garage where cars fill up, we'd call it a "petrol" station.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The word 'station' is used in transportation (bus station, train station) but also in communications (radio station; TV station).

Though, Zmj made a good point about the "stations" of the cross. I just looked it up on OED, and it had 29 different definitions. The "stations of the cross" use was discussed under "Ecclesiastical uses" of the word. I was surprised at this definition: "The stationary point, crisis, a height (of a disease)," though the quote was from 1661.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post