Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Is this a threat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a threat? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We in the U.S. are all entrenched in March Madness, or the NCAA college basketball playoffs. I heard a very spirited discussion by the media saying that to say, "Don't let us down!" is really a threat. The offended speaker said he always wonders what the person will do to him if he does let him down. I don't take it that way at all. I see it as more of a rhetorical statement, much like, "How are you today?" Or "Good luck in the game!"

What do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Usually I'd say it's just one of those essentially meaningless phrases. ("Have a nice day") but it carries an undercurrent of a kind of threat albeit of a very weak nature.

What it seems to be saying is "If you lose we'll all be really really sad and I know that you don't want to see us all crying so you need to win to keep us all happy and smiling and jolly."

Who says English can't be succinct?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree with what Bob says. Rather than a 'threat' (which suggests more physical aggression), I'd think of it more as a kind of emotional blackmail - passively aggressive, maybe. It does suggest 'we're all counting on you so don't make us unhappy', and as such is more emotionally loaded than 'good luck!' or the like.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Cat - you are gifted in explaining these things. Mind if I just follow you around and keep saying "Yea, what SHE said."

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree with you about Cat, CW, and I have always thought that Bob, too, is good at explaining concepts like this. It must be an English characteristic. Wink

Well, it looks as though the radio announcer was right. I just don't take that phrase very seriously, but it sounds as though many of you do.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post