Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fibula Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Geoff and Sue are in Chicago, and we visited one of my favorite museums, the Oriental Institute. All over the place they had these fibulas, which apparently are ornamental clasps, or broaches, that people used to wear way back in BC. I wondered how that was connected to the fibula bone, and I found that it comes from the Latin word meaning "pin" or "clasp," and that the bone resembles the tongue of a clasp. I hadn't known that.

I know the stapes bone in the middle ear comes from the Modern Latin word meaning "stirrup," (there was no classical Latin word for it because the ancients didn't use stirrups, according to Etymology.com) because it is shaped like a stirrup.

That made me think that so many bones or other body parts have such interesting etymologies. Do you know of any fun ones?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Coccyx is quite amusing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"stirrup,"

Stirrup, itself, has an interesting etymology: from Old English stigrāp, literally 'mount-rope' < stīgan 'to go; go up, ascend, mount'; cf. German Stegreif, Old Icelandic stigreip.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While pelvis is Latin for "bowl, its Greek equivalent means "helmet." That's redolent of a Monty Python skit, with the troupe wearing unused pelvises on their heads. Well, maybe unused ones... Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS: Had a marvelous time with Shufitz and Kalleh!!!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And...vice versa! Love getting together with Wordcrafters!

I happened to find this site with new words for human body parts: Link My favorites were "Grand Central Station," "trotter/flipper," and "Magellan's prize."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and "Magellan's prize."

You can get VD from a GPS? Eek