Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Royal Body Language
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Royal Body Language Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
My husband is a news photographer and was assigned to cover the visit of Prince Charles and his wife Camilla to Philadelphia this weekend. He remarked to me last night that he didn't think the two were getting along very well, based on the way they walked together--or rather apart. Charles was always several steps ahead of Camilla at every location, never offered her his arm, held her hand or made any courtly gestures; mostly he had his back to her.

I replied that I thought this might be a matter of protocol, that as the heir to the throne he would go before her and she would walk several steps behind out of deference. I'm sure I've seen the same with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip. Or maybe not.

So, all of you who are British here, is it official princely behavior for Charles to walk ahead of his wife and not offer her his arm? Or is he just being rude and self-absorbed, and nobody can call him on it because he's royalty?

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
is it official princely behavior for Charles to walk ahead of his wife and not offer her his arm? Or is he just being rude and self-absorbed, and nobody can call him on it because he's royalty?

Both, I'd say.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on such matters, but I think it's normal protocol. Prince Philip usually walks behind the Queen, but not on their way to the village church when they are "off duty."

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
A man's home is his castle even if he is the leading candidate for kingship. Where he walks in relation to his power mower should be determined by his own decision even if she is now his wife.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I should have looked it up in the first place. TV coverage of the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Elizabeth's ascension to the throne, has footage and still coverage of the queen walking ahead of the power mower who is her husband. And look who's coming up in third place: the Prince himself. I suppose that Jerry will call him the "weed whacker?"

Sorry to have misspelled Prince Philip's name. And thanks for the info. Charles and Camilla did walk side by side to church yesterday from their hotel in Philadelphia.

WM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
power mower

I don't think that Pip and Liz were ever considered power mowers, even in name.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think that Pip and Liz were ever considered power mowers, even in name.
Assuming that the term "power mower" is a malapropism for "paramour", then, although The Queen and Prince Philip are certainly lovers, I doubt that they cohabited before they were married.

Of course, our Monarchy, like the USA's Presidency, has a long tradition of extra-marital liaisons, so anything is possible.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to impugn the monarch; I was just having fun with Jerry's homonym. (These Americans are so cheeky!) Homonyms aside, it's just silliness; as silly to call Camilla a "power mower" as it would be to call Laura Bush a "Texas chain saw."

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I was typing less about the Royal Shacked Up's extra-marital affairs, rather than any pre-marital ones. Sorry about any perceived bluntness of my statement, but I'm sure that Phillipos von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (you see why I call him Pip) would understand.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
(...Pip) would understand.

After reading all that, I think I will call him a power mower!

WM

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Queen and Prince Philip are certainly lovers
Prince Philip is 86 years old, so I'd ask, "Are you sure of this??[/i] If so, he certainly has power more (and more power to him)! Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prince Philip is 86 years old

"May you live as long as you want to, and want to as long as you live".

I am presently on track for both.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I certainly am glad, WM, to find that this is normal Royal behavior, rather than a beginning war between them. I have considered the Prince's and Camilla's longterm romance as having a storybook ending, and I'd hate to see any other kind of ending. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post