Wordcraft Community Home Page
Postpositive Adjectives

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/309106562

August 09, 2009, 20:40
wordcrafter
Postpositive Adjectives
An English adjective is generally placed in front of the noun it modifies, as for example "a big house". Occasionally, though, an adjective is placed immediately after its noun, as in "Attorney General". That sort of usage is called postpositive.

Postpositives can cause confusion. For example, the plural of attorney general is not attorney generals, as one might think, but rather the awkward-sounding attorneys general. And what is the proper form of address – as in a 2003 speech where the U.S. Attorney General introduced the featured speaker, President Bush. Bush, upon taking the podium, said, "Thank you, General." That's wrong, but wouldn't "Thank you, Attorney" have sounded strange?

Sometime we and make a postpositive use of an adjective that is usually used in the normal way. (Examples: "general counsel" vs. "attorney general"; "past events" vs. "in times past".) Other adjectives, though, are rarely used in the normal way; they typically appear as postpositives. These are the ones we'll explore this week.

aplenty – in abundance

From And How Keen was the Vision of Sir Launfal? by Ogden Nash:
August 11, 2009, 08:19
wordcrafter
aforethought – premeditated; planned beforehand (note: also as noun; see below)
prepense – premeditated; planned beforehand

These two, similar postpositives are usually used in the phrases malice aforethought and malice prepense. But not always:Once in a great while aforethought is used is a noun. Herman Melville so uses it in Moby Dick, powerfully, to make a key point. His whale is not just a force of nature, powerful but impersonal and inanimate, like a typhoon. It is a sentient, intelligent and malicious enemy. … "infernal aforethought" … What an amazing phrase.
August 12, 2009, 08:59
wordcrafter
redux – revived; restored
[from Latin for ‘bring back’ or 'lead back'. The dux is cognate with a "duke", meaning "leader".]

Two questions for our readers:
● Would you say that it usually has a negative sense of a resigned "oh God, here we go again"?
● Dictionaries differ on the accent. It may be a national thing, with Brits accenting the first syllable and USns the second. Can anyone confirm?
August 12, 2009, 09:13
Robert Arvanitis
In "Rabbit Redux" critics feel John Updike returned to a character in the most positive sense possible, to show how the character has evolved, changed, even become more himself.

No sense of "here we go again" in that story.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/1971/11...s/updike-rabbit.html

RJA
August 12, 2009, 14:57
BobHale
No idea how the AMericans pronounce it but for me the stress is definitely first syllable.

I have never considered it to have anything but neutral connotations.

Hope that helps.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 13, 2009, 03:01
arnie
quote:
Would you say that it usually has a negative sense of a resigned "oh God, here we go again"?

I'm with Bob. It's neutral to me. Also, I'd stress the first syllable.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
August 13, 2009, 05:36
<Proofreader>
reDUX here
August 13, 2009, 06:53
wordcrafter
from The Onion, September 20, 2000, illustrating the postpositive-plurals problem (Do you like that alliteration?):No definitions needed for today's words!
August 14, 2009, 07:09
wordcrafter
plenipotentiary – invested with full power and authority (noun: a diplomat having such power).
Sometimes used postpositively, sometimes in the normal way.Several years ago I presented plenipotentiary under another theme, illustrated by a clever poem. Let me add that the poem was by John Hollander, but modified by me for historical accuracy (in that insofar as I know, Franklin D. Roosevelt never visited Denmark.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
August 14, 2009, 20:18
wordcrafter
incarnate1. embodied in flesh; in human form 2. represented in the ultimate or most typical form
August 14, 2009, 21:53
neveu
quote:
William Safire Orders Two Whoppers Junior

Sounds like one of my old girlsfriend.
August 15, 2009, 09:04
<Asa Lovejoy>
She had whoppers?
August 15, 2009, 09:27
<Proofreader>
Or buttered buns?
August 15, 2009, 16:08
<Asa Lovejoy>
Annnnd, hot and juicy.
August 15, 2009, 20:47
wordcrafter
Postpostive adjectives seem to come in groups:
aforethought is the same as prepense.
● "miracles aplenty" are the same as "miracles galore".
● a junior implies a senior.
● When Obama was President elect, he was also President designee and President to be.
Redux, (re)incarnate and today's postpostive have similar meanings.

redivivus – come back to life; reborn

A variety of usages:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,