Wordcraft Community Home Page
Less-known Counterparts

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/846107061

May 04, 2009, 09:41
wordcrafter
Less-known Counterparts
Sometimes a negative form of a word is much more familiar than its positive form. (We might can call someone "uncouth" or "unruly", but you rarely hear someone described as "couth" or "ruly".) More generally, two counterpart words may exist ("paired", but not necessarily negative and positive), one much better known than the other. We've done themes on both the negative/positive pairs and the more-general counterpart pairs.

This week we'll present more of the latter type, beginning with another "super" word.

supernal – heavenly; celestial (also, of the sky)

"Supernal" is the counterpart of "infernal" – which originally meant "of Hell" – and it can mean "heavenly" either literally or figuratively. I do love the second quote.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
May 04, 2009, 12:06
arnie
quote:
I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say ...

How fake is that letter? How many eight-year-olds would describe their friends as "little", let alone write letters to newspapers, even in 1897?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 04, 2009, 13:08
<Proofreader>
And how many editors would direct the word supernal toward an eight-year-old?
May 04, 2009, 13:18
neveu
quote:
How fake is that letter?

Not very, it would seem. Perhaps her father helped.
May 05, 2009, 04:08
arnie
quote:
Perhaps her father helped.

Yuk.

I feel sure he helped*, in that case.

* Definition of "helped": wrote.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 05, 2009, 07:23
wordcrafter
Today, a rare kin of the familiar word regurgitate. The etymology makes a nice image, for the word comes from Latin gurgit- 'whirlpool'.

gurgitate – to swallow up greedily, like a whirlpool
(also, I think, intransitive: "to swirl and suck violently, like a whirlpool". See first quote)
May 07, 2009, 08:53
wordcrafter
superordinate – higher in rank, status, or value [the counterpart of subordinate; also used as noun or verb]
May 07, 2009, 19:59
wordcrafter
plicate – folded, pleated; with parallel folds or ridges

This is not a word you'll run into. But with it you can appreciate how some common words must have originated in metaphors that were sheer poetry when they were first used and first heard.
May 07, 2009, 20:15
Robert Arvanitis
And of course, duplicate, and explicate.

RJA
May 08, 2009, 05:09
Robert Arvanitis
After a good night's sleep -- replicate!

RJA
May 08, 2009, 22:04
wordcrafter
Iran, 1979, just after the Shah fell from power:exfiltrate – to furtively escape from (or smuggle someone out from) an area controlled or imperiled by the enemy

The counterpart of "infiltrate".
May 09, 2009, 08:52
haberdasher
plicate – folded, pleated; with parallel folds or ridges

This is not a word you'll run into...

In medicine "plication" is a common surgical sewing technique.
May 09, 2009, 21:33
wordcrafter
A depilatory is cream or lotion used to remove unwanted hair, for cosmetic purposes. That word is the most familiar use of the root pilus "hair". Here's a less familiar one, as in "it made my hair stand on end!"

horripilation – the bristling of the body hair, as from fear or cold; goose bumpsThis word is mostly used in spelling bees and by authors who, trying too hard, embarrass themselves by mis-using the word as if it meant "a shiver down the spine". Apparently those authors are unaware of the "hair" root.

Another word for "horripilation" is piloerection. (I dare you to try tossing that one into a conversation.) OED gives a vivid modern example from a veterinary textbook:
May 10, 2009, 04:37
Robert Arvanitis
Is there an element of duplication here?

"Horri" seems to trace back to hair just as much as "pila" does. From etymonline:

horror
c.1375, from O.Fr. horreur, from L. horror "bristling, roughness, rudeness, shaking, trembling," from horrere "to bristle with fear, shudder," from PIE base *ghers- "to bristle" (cf. Skt. harsate "bristles," Avestan zarshayamna- "ruffling one's feathers," L. eris (gen.) "hedgehog," Welsh garw "rough").

RJA
May 10, 2009, 07:32
zmježd
English hair (< PIE kers- 'bristle, stiff hair; rough'), horn < PIE k̑er-(ə)n- 'top of the body' < PIE k̑er- 'top (part) of the body' (kers- and k̑er- may be related though the intial phonemes are different, velar vs palatal stops), Latin pilus '(single) hair; body hair'(cf. French poil 'hair', poilu, literally 'hairy', '(French) WW1 soldier'), horror, horroris, 'bristling, shivering; horror' (though it is related to Latin er, eris 'hedgegog'). The words are related semantically, but almost all of them come from different roots.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.