Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    My New Kindle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Kindle Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
I received a Kindle for Christmas, and I love it. A few months ago when this electronic reading device was discussed here, I believe I was one of only a couple of people who said they liked the concept of the Kindle, or any similar e-book reader.

As I explained at the time, for a person with vision problems, this is an ideal solution. Because of a cataract and other eye conditions, I have been finding it more and more difficult to read a normal printed page in most lighting conditions. But with the Kindle, I can bump the typesize up to the maximum possible, which looks to be about 14 pt., and because of the technology of this thing, there is no glare either from the screen or reflecting from it. I can just get into a book and enjoy it. Right now, I am reading "Roads to Quoz" by William Least Heat-Moon, an account of his journey following the path of the 1803 Dunbar-Hunter expedition down the Ouachita River (in Arkansas), ane enjoying it immensely.

No, it is not like holding a real book, but it is really reading. And yes, I admit that I miss the feel of holding and smelling and sensing the real book--in kind of the same way that I used to miss pulling a sheet of awful copy out of my typewriter, wadding it up, and throwing it in the wastebasket after I first switched from using typewriters to using computers. I got over that real fast!

In February, I will have cataract surgery, and hope to be able to read type on paper normally again, but I will not get rid of the Kindle. The Kindle is so portable and handy. I can carry it in my purse. It's very light, and I can bring along as many books, newspapers and blogs with me as I like, without a lot of hefting or fuss. My friend Julie, who also has a Kindle that she will never part with, tells me that she is "fairly promiscuous" in her reading habits. She often reads several books simultaneously, and the Kindle allows her to have them them all together in one place. She can easily switch from one to another without having to rummage around looking for the one at the bottom of the pile.

This is not a paid advertisement, but just an honest tribute to a handy gadget and tool, an adaptive reader for someone like me with vision problems, or for anyone who likes to read and enjoys the pleasures of modern technology!

I expect I'll hear objections, but to them I'll say, "Try it--you might like it."

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It does seem to be ideal for you, WM. You make a good point when you remind us that we used to use typewriters. I can't say I miss them!

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OOooh, I have serious techenvy! What books do you have on it right now?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've begun to see more people using it. How is it working for you?

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post