Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Books become part of you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books become part of you Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
During these hard economic times, Mary Schmich had asked her readers what they absolutely wouldn't sell, and some of the answers are here. However, this one really trumped them all:
quote:
And to end, there's this from Zahava Davidson: "As the child of an Auschwitz survivor who had to leave her home and was not allowed to bring any possessions, I have tried not to get too attached to objects, even though I own as many as most Americans. Although I love my books, once I have read them, they are mine, whether or not I possess them physically, and I try to maintain that spirit with regard to anything I own."
Isn't that a good way to think about reading? Once you've read a book, it becomes part of you.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I feel this way about a lot of books . . . but I also like to re-read some of them over and over. I seldom buy books for myself, though, and just make use of the public library, unless I have the opportunity to get a book signed by the author, or in the case of picture books, by the illustrator. I consider those books some of my sweetest treasures.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
I seldom buy books for myself, though, and just make use of the public library

Annnnd, the public library makes use of you! Big Grin
(But they pay for your use)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Annnnd, the public library makes use of you! Big Grin
(But they pay for your use)

Quite true.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post