Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Banned Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banned Books Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I've seen some (IMHO) ridiculous reasons for banning books before, but this one takes a prize.

What do you all think?

If you're interested, the American Library Association's Office of Intellectual Freedom keeps track of challenged books. If you'd like to read more about the list you can, here. From that link you can also find some lists.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The bookshop is acting like a horse's arse (also featured on the cover), IMO.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
One wonders if they have museums in BC.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BC Ferries sounds like a name that's ban-worthy, IMHO.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4445 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, z. That's a really good point. Have they ever enjoyed a Rodin? They'd better not travel to France...or to Chicago, for that matter.

Your link, CW, about banned books was eye opening as well, particularly the one with classic books.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
There was a story in today's paper about some cities actually hiring a private firm to run their libraries for profit. How do they do that? Charge you to take out a book? Entrance fee? Cut salaries?

Here is one blogger's take on the situation.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6002 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
As you can imagine, the issue of privately owned libraries replacing public libraries is a hot topic in my profession. That blogger shared a lot of the buzz that's going around - sheer outrage that it's even being considered by some communities. There is a lot of confusion in my own town, actually, about how we get our funding, as we are not a government agency, but we are publicly funded. We do get money from the state in Ohio, but that does not meet all of our needs and our local levy (a replacement is on the ballot this November) is slightly more than half of our operating costs. Last year the city budget was re-vamped and people were confused as to why our library didn't get money from that. It's all confusing, I guess.

Anyway, they apparently are making money by changing the benefits, getting rid of unionization and so forth. I have no idea where the funding is coming from there. Many locals are quite angry about the change, and rightly so, IMHO.

I'd be interested in hearing more opinions from this group.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I'm not a lawyer but I wonder how exactly another entity can assume jurisdiction and end a union agreement unilaterally. I know every time a company was sold while I was in my union, the new owners had to accept the union already in place.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It's all a mystery, really, Proofreader, as the media seems to only be giving us smidgens of information, as usual. I'm sure there will be some articles in my professions journals soon, or there may already have been and I've missed them.

On a related note, we don't have any unionized staff in my own library system. Perhaps this is, in part, why I don't know as much about such things.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a lot of confusion in my own town, actually, about how we get our funding, as we are not a government agency, but we are publicly funded.
I'd always thought libraries were governmental agencies. I was also surprised when I recently heard that the post office hasn't been funded by the government for years. Perhaps there needs to be more education out there on our government. If people understood how these organizations work, maybe they wouldn't be as critical.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
When we first moved here over 40 years ago, there were about ten to fifteen post office receptacles within a circle about a mile in diameter near us. Today I can only find three, one of which is in an industrial park partially hidden between two large bushes in a company's driveway. This loss of boxes began about three months after the Post Office became a semi-private agency, and was accomplished with little or no publicity.

Nollidj is power.