Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Are book readers prissy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are book readers prissy? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read an interesting article in the Tribune today about what is meant by a "literary" president. In it I found this quote curious:

"Reading, to certain people, is classified as a sort of prissy, fussy, sissified activity, equivalent to daydreaming or lollygagging. It's a sign of elitism. Of having too much leisure time and too little drive."

I guess the operative word there is "certain," but I have to say that's news to me. I've only thought people who read to be intelligent, curious, and often quite successful and productive. Have you ever thought of readers as "prissy" or "elitist?" I've known some brilliant elitists who of course read, but I've also known some elitists who are just that because of family money. Those in the latter group maybe read a best seller every so often, but that's about it.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Reading requires a modicum of intellect and learning. There are those around, even in countries such as the USA and the UK where education is good, who cannot read well or even at all. There are others who choose not to read, finding it easier to use the broadcast media for education and entertainment.

It is those who will be less likely to read books and will possibly regard avid book-readers as elitist - although I am surprised that such people should consider reading as a sign of idleness.

Incidentally, I had never heard of "lollygagging" before now but WordWeb suggests it means "be about" - which phrase means nothing to me either. Further research shows that it has the conotations of idleness or loafing around.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AHD4 is a bit more helpful with lallygag:
To waste time by puttering aimlessly; dawdle.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
fwiw I've heard lollygagging before

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Incidentally, I have come across the attitude that there is something suspicious about people who read. It's just one manifestation of an anti-intellectualism that runs through some sections of society. I've commented before that I sometimes fear that the human race is evolving into Eloi and Morlocks and this is just one more bit of evidence.
I'm not so sure that it's seen as "elitist" or "having too much time and too little drive" I think it's more a general distrust that the uneducated have of the educated. There is, in many people's minds, a suspicion that education equates to snootiness or stuck-up-ness and a feeling that "real people" don't need to read. In short if you read, especially if you read for pleasure, you can't possibly be a real man or a real woman.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
We Luddites can't understand any of the last five posts.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incidentally, I have come across the attitude that there is something suspicious about people who read.
Really, Bob? Wow. I've missed all of that.

Perhaps it's a regionalism, but lollygagging is fairly common where I come from. I rather like the word and use it a fair amount.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, and here is Wordcrafter's post on lollygag