Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Picture Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture Books Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an article in the NY Times about parents no longer letting their children read picture books:
quote:
“They’re 4 years old, and their parents are getting them ‘Stuart Little,’ ” said Dara La Porte, the manager of the children’s department at the Politics and Prose bookstore in Washington. “I see children pick up picture books, and then the parents say, ‘You can do better than this, you can do more than this.’ It’s a terrible pressure parents are feeling — that somehow, I shouldn’t let my child have this picture book because she won’t get into Harvard.”
There were a number of letters to the editor in the NY Times and Blog reactions to this terrible trend. Some of my most memorable times spent with my kids were reading from delightful picture books. I hate this trend!

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed picture books. There was really no reason for the police to confiscate them.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I wonder where the reporter is getting the background information, really. I have seen a different trend, that children are not able or willing to read books that don't have pictures. Just like our middle class is disappearing, we also have a large learning gap in the readers of our society.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think it was just observations by bookstore employees, and that sort of thing can be dangerous. The sample is hardly objective.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post