Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Deborah Tannen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deborah Tannen Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I've seen a couple of references here to Deborah Tannen, a sociolinguist, and yet I've not read any of her work. Have some of you? I was recently in a training class in crucial conversations, and the facilitator was high on Deborah Tannen.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read her for my linguistics degree. She's one of the foremost names in sociolinguistics.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I heard her speak at Mills College back in the '90s. She was a student of Robin Lakoff (of Cal), and she is quite the sociolinguist. She's written a couple of popular linguistics books, and some interesting monographs. I believe she's still teaching at Georgetown U. (I was at Cal at the same time as her, but didn't known her. She got her PhD the same year I graduated.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So I am assuming you both have a great deal of respect for her? The facilitator who talked about her work was a communications consultant, and I worried that maybe Tannen was a pop psychologist type, since some of her books had been quite popular. If, however, she is one of the "foremost names," I'd love to read a book or two by her.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, psych is not her field, but as far as linguistics and socio-linguistics goes, I'd read what she has to say and see if it makes sense.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read You Just Don't Understand years ago. I liked the book and thought it made a lot of sense, though I can't remember any specifics of it now. Here 's an excerpt from that book.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post