Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antilogy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the autoanyonym thread, I found that Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English cited "antilogy" as a synonym for "autoantonym." However, "antilogy" seems to be more than just a contradiction of terms. It seem to be a contradiction between ideas or words or passages by an author. Wikipedia redirects the discussion to "contradiction" and talks about it being a term used in logic, and in fact Phrontistery defines "antilogy" as a "contradiction" and "antilogism" as a "statement of three propositions containing proposition."

I am confused. Does anyone know any more about "antilogy?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard of antilogism. It must have been in my Symbolic Logic class in college. It has been long enough that I'd have had to look it up upon seeing it again, though. I know - not much help, huh?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CW, from your knowledge of it, would you consider it a synonym of "autoantonym?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think they're different. If an autoantonym is something where the words sound the same but mean different things, and antilogy is the idea of having several propositions that are contrary to one another, it's a totally different meaning.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post