New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Nesting Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Here's one that's new to me. From today's Chicago Tribune:
    Although money can't shield children from the emotional impact of a divorcing couple, it does make possible an unusual custody arrangement that can soften the blow. It's called "bird nesting": The kids stay put in the house they've grown up in. Mom and Dad move out, and each one takes turns living in the family home three or four days at a time as they share the parenting load.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That must be for the affluent. Both parents would need their own home, and then there'd be a home that they share.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Nah, Kalleh, the husband sleeps in his car (a Yugo) the rest of the time. Frown

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Or if it were amicable, they could share the second home.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That would be creative. I can't imagine, with house prices what they are, having three of them.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
That would be creative. I can't imagine, with house prices what they are, having three of them.

That would be wasteful. Why does not Dad do what he's always done i.e. like me, sleep in the garden shed, or if he's very affluent in the greenhouse?

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a great idea. Good creative thinking, wordmatic! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suspect garden sheds are more common in England. We often use our garage for storing our garden equipment, too.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Call me old-fashioned, but this seems to defeat the purpose of a divorce.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Despite its 83,000+ ghits, "amicable divorce" does seem to be a bit of an oxymoron, doesn't it?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If only I had enough money for a garden shed!

Asa the impecunious

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
Despite its 83,000+ ghits, "amicable divorce" does seem to be a bit of an oxymoron, doesn't it?

What? You've never had a lover say, "Let's just be friends?" Frown

Asa the oft rejected

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Call me old-fashioned, but this seems to defeat the purpose of a divorce.

My thoughts precisely, neveu. What happens when one, or both, remarry? It seems like a forumula for disaster to me.
quote:
If only I had enough money for a garden shed!

Asa is spoofing all of you. I saw his lovely backyard with a beautiful waterfall. We all sat serenely outside recently on a gorgeous day, feeling the light breeze, hearing the birds sing, and generally feeling as though we were in heaven. Asa is far too modest.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Waterfall? Hell, Kalleh, that was the uphill neighbor's broken sewer pipe! Frown It does sound lovely every time she flushes, however.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Not having ever lived through such a situation, I can see I was thinking in a la-la land sort of way. More likely the divorced parents are crashing with their new significant others on their "off" days, or crashing with friends, siblings or their own aging parents, and in all cases, whomever they live with when not back home with the kids will soon feel very imposed upon.

Bird Nesting may be easier on the children, but it's not very realistic and doesn't do anything to help the children adjust to the actual reality that their parents are divorced.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Bird Nesting may be easier on the children, but it's not very realistic and doesn't do anything to help the children adjust to the actual reality that their parents are divorced.

WM

Be that as it may, I see it as grist for a Neil Simon play!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Be that as it may, I see it as grist for a Neil Simon play!

Well sure, what the heck?

Razz

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waterfall? Hell, Kalleh, that was the uphill neighbor's broken sewer pipe!

You are a crazy man! It is a very nice waterfall, with a soothing sound, that flows into a pond with goldfish. Where is Sunflower when we need her? She will agree with me. Your gorgeous backyard was impressive, Asa.
quote:

Wordmatic, I agree with you completely.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
All very serious and speculative. Don't forget the Wilde comment: Woman begins by resisting a man's advances and ends by blocking his retreat.

She might block the exits of the nest.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Or she might be pushing him out of the nest so as to welcome a more enjoyable companion!

I can't imagine the nesting thing working for very long. I have, though, seen families successfully share custody with each parent taking the kids for half of each week. The kids have just had two complete spaces that are their own, and they have become relatively good managers of their own backpacks (in regards to school work and so forth).

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Many women I've known, Pearce, aren't as Wilde said; they motion, "Come hither" with one hand and "Go away!" with the other.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many women ... motion, "Come hither" with one hand and "Go away!" with the other.
Why does a man take it for granted that a girl who flirts with him wants him to kiss her--when, nine times out of ten, she only wants him to want to kiss her?
~ Helen Rowland

posted Hide Post
[It is a very nice waterfall, with a soothing sound, that flows into a pond with goldfish. Where is Sunflower when we need her? She will agree with me. Your gorgeous backyard was impressive, Asa.
[/QUOTE]

It really was lovely! Last week we removed all the fish (about 50 of them) and found them new homes, since the pond seems to have developed a leak. We're going to re-landscape it in the Spring, and it will be more beautiful than ever. As for the garden shed, I'm holding out for a big BARN on acreage! Wink

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you, Sunflower. We've missed you! Sorry about your leak, but at least you validated my praise. Your hubby is too modest. Roll Eyes

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Many women I've known, Pearce, aren't as Wilde said; they motion, "Come hither" with one hand and "Go away!" with the other.

Many I have known have done that simultaneously, sometimes just using the one hand. Confused