Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Itchy Feeling Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
Is there a word for that creepy feeling along your skin that makes you think you've just been bitten by a bug or tickled, but you haven't?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I may need more information about that feeling; not sure that I've experienced it!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Phantom sensation, perhaps?

BTW, what happens if an astronaut on a spacewalk or a U-2 pilot has an itchy nose? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Word Detective has a piece about the problems of one-armed paper hangers suffering from an itch in his current set of words. See http://www.word-detective.com/current.html and scroll down to the heading 'You missed a spot'. Wink

Note that this link will only work correctly for about a month; after that you'll need to look for 'one-armed paper hanger' under 'Back Issues'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a word for that creepy feeling along your skin that makes you think you've just been bitten by a bug or tickled, but you haven't?
CW, would formication describe what you're thinking of? See also the post here and the three immediately after. Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think that word will work, Shu. Thanks.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another word I like that has to do with itchiness is 'acnestis': the part of a mammal it cannot reach to scratch. The OEDILF has a couple of limericks about it, one posted by our own Chris Strolin (Guess which one!).

Meg's back has a middle-sized patch
That she's wholly unable to scratch.
It's called her acnestis:
If itchy, what's best is
To rub on the furniture—natch.

You declare that it isn't your aim
To reside with a loser so lame,
And you say I must split?
Still you have to admit
Your acnestis is calling my name!

Seems to me that we all have a kind of verbal acnestis that leads us to this forum.

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Muse, it is always so good to see you here! Do you post limericks at all on OEDILF? I remember you as being quite a good limericist.

Love the word "acnestis!" I hadn't been aware of it. In nursing we use "pruritus" for describing itchy skin. That's often seen in either kidney or liver diseases.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Kalleh. You always make me (and everyone for that matter) feel so welcome here. I would love to be able to come more often, but I just get so caught with work. Now, I'm recovering from a kidney operation so I have a little time till the school year kicks in for good.

I haven't posted any limericks on OEDILF: the time issue again...

Kisses and greetings to everyone!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A kidney operation!? OUCH!!! What's urinalysis of your situation now? I hope you'll be well!

posted Hide Post
I'm a few stone lighter! Thanks Asa!
Smile

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
OUCH!!! Been there, done that! No fun at all!!! Frown My urologist told me to drink more beer! What did yours recommend?

As for "Acnestis," didn't Euripides write that? Or was that, "Incestis," where the guy sleeps with his mother?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
My urologist told me to drink more beer! What did yours recommend?

Sadly the beer in Greece is pretty poor - just the usual international chemical fizz and a local brew called, I seem to recall, Fix, which is also foul.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard is one of the most talented posters on Wordcraft. He can adroitly bring any conversation here to beer. Wink

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
proper brews properly casked
aromatic aromas unmasked
bring forth the answers
from brewing enhancers
to questions we'd never have asked

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard is one of the most talented posters on Wordcraft. He can adroitly bring any conversation here to beer. Wink

While this might be true, on this occasion it was Asa who brought up the beer reference!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Sadly the beer in Greece is pretty poor - just the usual international chemical fizz and a local brew called, I seem to recall, Fix, which is also foul.

I can tell you haven't been to Greece for ages, Richard. We haven't had Fix beer here for at least 20 years. In fact, the Fix beer factory is being turned into a Museum of Contemporary Art. We do have a new Greek brand called 'Mythos', which sadly is no better than the usual Amstel, Heineken brands you find here (truly is a myth). Beer houses/pubs, however, have become quite popular here in Athens in the last decade or so. There's a very nice one that I go to a place called Craft (hmmm, ring a bell, Wordcrafters?) that has excellent beer, brewed on the premises in huge vats that you can see. Great food too. They serve a wonderful dark beer that's only slightly less bitter than Guinness.

And Asa, unfortunately the doctor recommended water, especially now that I'm on antibiotics Frown.

posted Hide Post
The last time I was in Greece (about 5 years ago) I was in Kos and noticed that there was no Fix. I assumed that maybe it wasn't sold in Kos. I can't remember what I drunk but it was pretty foul.

I am, however, delighted to learn that the brewpub phenomenon has reached Greece. CAMRA has a great deal to take credit for.

I was expecting to be in Athens this November for the ABTA Convention, but there was a change of Greek Government earlier this year and the support the previous administration had promised was withdrawn and ABTA changed their venue. So now I shall be in Marbella, Spain, instead.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Well, next time you are in Greece, you must contact me, Richard, and we can go on an Athenian pub crawl!