Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Who? Login/Join

posted
Google announced that today is the fiftieth anniversary of Dr. Who, of whom there have been many. Does one say, "Drs. Who," or Dr Whos?"

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The former sounds formal, and depending on the context pedantic, while the latter sounds informal and is probably what most fans would say. (I have never much been a fan.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd venture that ALL fans would say the latter but no fan would ever write it that way. It isn't, and has never been, "Dr". It has to be "Doctor".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We say "Doctors" with no "who". It sounds a bit weird to me when people refer to the character as "Doctor Who". He has been called "Doctor Who" in the show only once or twice. He was called "Doctor Who" in the 60s comics as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

<Proofreader>
posted
Wouldn't it more accurately be "Doctor Who's" with "s" not in itals (and probably minus the apos)?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You are of course quite right goofy. I was referring solely to how fans would say and write the title of the show.
The "Doctor...who?" is often used as joke line in the show's history but the character is (almost) always referred to as simply "The Doctor".

Anyway, if you can all find it you should check out the sixth Doctor audio adventure "ish" which is all about the English Language and the quest to find the Universe's longest word. Really!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I'd do about Doctor Who (I agree with Z on that). But, professionally if I (or anyone) is talking about plural doctors, it's always doctors Spector, or whatever. I don't consider that pedantic.

Not sure about Doctors Who, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post