Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speak out? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
I was listening to a discussion on YouTube and one commenter constantly (and irritatingly, to me) would insert in his talk what I would ordinarily consider prose abbreviations. Instead of saying, "For example" he would say "e.g." Similarly, he would utter "i.e." when he meant "that is". But I have always thought these abbreviations were spoken out, just as you don't usually call something an "Ave" for avenue or "St" for street. Am I misinformed or ignorant? Don't answer the last since I am certain I know what most of you will reply.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof, I think you are right on. That would be irritating to me, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I have heard people say e.g. and i.e. It doesn't seem unusual

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I think I have heard people say e.g. and i.e

And that's the point. Is it natural or usual to use abbreviations in normal speech as opposed to writing? Where is the advantage to saying "i.e." instead of "that is" since both require the same number of syllables but the abbreviation may not be comprehensible to some. I have always considered these to be strictly for use in writing since they limit the necessary typing of terms but they seem elitist in ordinary conversation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can search COCA for "i.e." and "e.g." in speech. Lots of people say them.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use them in speech or writing personally but that's my style. I've heard plenty of people use them in speech here, as well.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose it's similar to using air quotes . Most people hate it, but it's done all the time too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post