Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bonzer Login/Join

posted
This is supposedly an Australian expression meaning "excellent," or some such, but I've never heard it. Is it still in use?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Quinion's opinion (link).
quote:
Like the others, it is dated — only dunny and dinkum are now much heard in everyday speech.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Secret agent double oh seven, is that you?
Yes, it's bonzer.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bedtime for Bonzer? Didn't that star Ronald Reagan?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In that Quinion link, he refers to some other Australian words, including dinkum , which apparently means "real." The story is that it's from Chinese words, din gum, meaning "real gold" in Chinese. Yet, that most likely is what Quinion calls "folk etymology."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The story is that it's from Chinese words, din gum, meaning "real gold" in Chinese. Yet, that most likely is what Quinion calls "folk etymology."
quote:
Dinkum or fair dinkum means "true", "the truth", "speaking the truth", "authentic" and related meanings, depending on context and inflection. It is often claimed that dinkum was derived from the Cantonese (or Hokkien) ding kam, meaning "top gold", during the Australian goldrushes of the 1850s. This, however, is chronologically improbable since dinkum is first recorded in the 1890s. Scholars give greater credence to the notion that it originated with a now-extinct dialect word from the East Midlands in England, where dinkum (or dincum[/[i]i]) meant "hard work" or "fair work", which was also the original meaning in Australian English. (link)
I found it in a dictionary of English dialects of Lincolnshire (LINK): Fair-dinkum, that which is just and equitable. Seems to me a better explanation than the Cantonese one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post