Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New term: "sexile" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
From the advice column in today's paper, I learned a new word for an old problem. Have you heard it before? How long has it (the word, that is; not the problem Wink) been around?

Dear Amy:
    When my son was ready to attend college, ... I was curious about how he would react to dorm life.

The morning after he spent his first night in the dorm, we had breakfast together, and I asked him how it went. "Well, we had our first overnight guest," he said. His roommate had his girlfriend sleeping over the whole first week of school.
    -- Mom of a College Grad

Dear Mom:
    I learned a new term recently when I dropped my own daughter off at college. The situation your son found himself in is called "sexile."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
According to Wiktionary sexile has been around about seven years.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There are over 12,000 Google hits for it.

Actually, it makes sense. When I was in college, I lived with 2 roommates, 1 who constantly had her boyfriend over. My other roommate and I couldn't stand it! His dog would wet all over the place, he didn't clean the bathroom, and we just felt...yes...sexiled!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be confused, of course, with "sessile," or conflated with "sextile."

RJA

Posts: 489 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't recognize it at first since I've never heard it in that tense. I heard "sexiled" many times in college.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post