Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invigilators alert Login/Join

Picture of jerry thomas
posted
When you were much younger, and the adults inquired as to your career goals, if you said, "I wanna be an invigilator, here's your opportunity.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Well, I already am, and my team and I will have invigilated around 9000 candidates between August 2005 and September 2006.

But I wouldn't say it's a major career aspiration - just a contract I bid for and won.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've never heard the word! Sounds as if one keeps a vigil, but the context sounds as if one who invigilates is a proctologist - er, I mean proctor.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if I was any good at photoshop- I'm not!- I would have combined Richard's picture with the one of Arnie's the other one,not ours!-cover of 'The Terminator' video. I can see Richard clutching a Desert Eagle automatic- he shot at Bisley, remember- as 'The Invigilator'!

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The only time I've heard the word is in emails from Richard where he talks about his invigilating.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only meaning I have ever heard for the term is "...Someone who watches examination candidates to prevent cheating..."

What other meaning does it have in the USA?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's a common enough term here defined as Richard defines it above.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I don't think it has any other meanings, RE. Just "to keep watch" or "monitor" or "supervise".

It just sounds like "The Terminator" . . . which brings up vivid images for most Americans.

Invigilator is not a word we use here.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It just sounds like "The Terminator"

But it sounds like many other nouns ending in "...ator" as well - so what's so funny about invigilator? Many verbs can be turned into a noun by the simple device of using the "...ator" ending.

Excavate; ruminate; flagellate; correlate...

Richard English

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
It just sounds like "The Terminator"
I think that's because the sound of invigilater brings to mind vigilant and vigilante.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more of invigorate.

Richard, we would call those people proctors, but that isn't a job in itself. In academia often a faculty member or even a receptionist or secretary can proctor the exams. However, during a licensure exam or other high-stakes exam, the proctors may be trained as such. I am not certain, though I could find out.

posted Hide Post
Invigilation is a serious issue here and likely to become more so as awarding bodies are using examinations more and more, and course work assessment less and less. Thus invigilators (proctors is a synonym but not used much in England) have to be competent and there are recognised training courses for them

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So there's no difference between invigilator and proctor?

posted Hide Post
According to Wordweb:

Proctor:
Someone who supervises (an examination.

Invigilator:
Someone who watches examination candidates to prevent cheating.

There is maybe an implication that the duties of a proctor could be wider than those of an invigilator, but my invigilators are responsible for the entire conduct of the examination on the day, and I would consider their duties to be the same as a proctor's.

I would regard the two terms as meaning the same.

Richard English

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Dictionary.com says nothing about the pronunciaton of invigilator, which is a brand-new addition to my vocabulary.

Is it in-VIGIL-ator, emphasizing the practioner's watchfulness, or is it in-VIGGLE-ator, suggesting his observation of body language symptomatic of the examinees' restlessness?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's inVIGilator. I suspect its root is "vigil", one meaning of which is "A purposeful surveillance to guard or observe".

It's a very common word in UK English amongst the academic fraternity.

Richard English