Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brain Freeze Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
Is there a word for that feeling you get when you're eating ice cream or drinking something really cold - you know - that almost headache?

Also, on a related topic (can you tell we just had ice cream?) is there some corollary to heartburn that describes the condition where your chest feels really cold?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
The usual term is ice-cream headache, though I've also seen cold stimulus headache. Apparently not everyone gets them: it's genetic.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always called it "brain freeze" and I usually get them when I suck on a slurpee.

Posts: 38 | Location: Brampton, Ontario, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never used to get them as a child, but I do now if I eat cold things too quickly.

I don't know about 'almost headache' either, CW. My worst one - after only a couple of mouthfuls of a slushed ice drink - although over in less than two minutes, was blinding! Ouch!

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geez, you can find anything on the Web! I found this nice site about brain freeze. It even has a message board with 44 registered users...apparently talking about Slurpees! Interestingly, they use the same software as OEDILF.

I apparently am in that 70% of the population that isn't affected. Even though we have a 7-Eleven within walking distance, I can't say that I have ever heard the term "brainfreeze."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
I can't say that I have ever heard the term "brainfreeze."

Having been around me a bit, I know you're familiar with "brainfart," though! Frown

Is there a word for the pain of excess esophageal cooling? Hab, surely you should know if Kalleh doesn't!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking that question again, Asa - I thought everyone had missed it.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, CW, I had missed it, and if there is a word for it, it's not in my vocabulary!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post