Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another hijacked word? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We are developing a large study involving simulation where I work, and our Communications Department developed a lovely logo and tagline for it, with the acronym of EVE...standing for Exploring Virtual Education, with the tagline of The Dawn of a New Era. The logo was very nice, and I thought it was perfect.

But here's the rub..."virtual reality," such as Second Life (http://secondlife.com/?v=1.1), seems to have hijacked the word "virtual." Therefore, the committee didn't like the acronym because people would think it was a computer program, rather than on-site simulation. My losing argument was that of course simulation is virtual...it certainly isn't real life.

What are your thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
EVE -- Extremely Vapid Educators

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your simulation involves, but when I see virtual education I think of online courses. Did you see the Wikipedia article?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Eve, of course, is or was the name of this forum software.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, you're right! I'd forgotten about that.

Tinman, that's my point. One of the definitions of virtual is: Existing or resulting in essence or effect though not in actual fact, form, or name: the virtual extinction of the buffalo.

That's what simulation is exactly...existing in essence but not in actual life. However, you are right, computer scientists once again have hijacked a word so that people only connect it to computers.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think the word, especially when used with certain other words like "experience" or "education", has a very strong connotation of being part of the online world.

When you talk about "virtual extinction" I can understand that you're talking about that "not quite done-ness" of the extinction.

I think it might be the juxtaposition of other words that imply that it is something that is web-based.

Web is another hijacked word, isn't it? Yet we still all know what you're talking about if you talk about a tangled web you've woven or catching someone in a web of lies.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
you are right, computer scientists once again have hijacked a word so that people only connect it to computers

I beg your pardon, but we haven't hijacked anything. Virtual in computer science means exactly what it means everywhere else: virtual memory, virtual reality, virtual machines, the virtual lens(Cool) are all things that exist in essence but not in actual life.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, there you go, neveu. I completely agree, and that's why I think virtual should be used for our simulation study. After all, the simulators aren't real patients, are they?

However, I have lost that battle now. Our creative people are back at the drawing board coming up with other things. My two favorites are:

Aurora (Latin for Dawn)

The dawn of a new era in nursing education
(Same tag line that EVE had, which I had liked)

and

Via (Latin for Road, another definition is “by way of” which has a nice connotation with education)

Gateway to new frontiers in nursing education

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The usage note on the A-H entry (link) for virtual is a good place to start. The use of the word virtual in a computational context has changed over the years. It has shifted slightly in being "hijacked" by the public from computer-geeks. It has gone from something that does not really exist or is being simulated to something facilitated by a computer: virtual class, online class, cyber-class, distance learning.

[Edited to add dropped auxiliary verbs.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, high-fidelity simulation, which is what we are talking about, is always facilitated by computers. There are computer programs that make the simulator's heart speed up or slow down when the wrong medication is given; or cause other vital signs to change; or make his veins bleed (with fake blood of course) when the student forgets to attach the IV tubing; or creates chills when he has a fever or crackles in his lungs when he has pneumonia; and so on.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm just saying that virtual literally has many meanings depending on the context of its usage. (Like most other words in the language, too.)

[Added missing letter.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just saying that virtual literally ha many meanings depending on the context of its usage. (Like most other words in the language, too.)
That's my point precisely.

posted Hide Post
This Thread would be virtuously virtual, save the original adamant Eve.

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post