Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's about TIME Login/Join

posted
Last Saturday we discussed GMT. As with the blind men describing the elephant, we each had something different to contribute. Cf. Wikipedia for a nice overview. In the meantime, how about some words about TIME. Does it exist?

posted Hide Post
It existed in the past and probably will in the future, but I found it too liberal and too expensive and I let my subscription expire. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Duncan Howell,

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
It existed in the past and probably will in the future, but I found it too liberal and too expensive and I let my subscription expire.

I have subscribed for some years. The secret of getting a fair-priced subscription is simply to avoid renewing until the very last minute. The good folks at Time will keep offering you better and better deals until you finally give in!

I can't say I find it especially liberal - although it has carried articles that criticise the present administration - but then there are plenty of others around who do that as well.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The reply I posted yesterday seems to have been lost in a time warp...

It was

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so. (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Time is a blur, and the older you get, the faster it goes.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Time is Nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once. ===== Anon.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quid est ergo tempus? si nemo ex me quærat, scio; si quærenti explicare uelim, nescio.

"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know: if I wish to explain it to one that asketh, I know not."

Confessiones Sancti Augustini XI:xiv.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Chicago lyrics:

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to cry

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I listened to a programme on BBC Radio 4 last night about Louis Armstrong, and that made me feel very old. I remember very clearly seeing him live at the Hammersmith Palais. This little, round man who came onto the stage and raised his trumpet to his lips - and that incredible, golden sound filled the auditorium.

But that was over forty years ago ;-(

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
round man who came onto the stage and raised his trumpet to his lips

Did Armstrong only play the trumpet that night, or did he also play the cornet?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only the trumpet as I recall.

Richard English