Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vetting Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'd never heard of this word before this century, but now it seems ubiquitous. Why?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's been a fairly common usage during the last century in this country; perhaps it has taken a while to reach your shores?

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary
quote:
the colloquial sense of "subject to careful examination" (as of an animal by a veterinarian, especially of a horse before a race) is first attested 1904, in Kipling.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since it's usually elephants and jackasses being discussed in US politics, I guess the veterinary term is apporpriate. Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...there are more than 2,000,000 cites for it in Google.

What does this definition mean?

I have seen it used when riding in a Corvette. "I've been 'vetting' today"...though I couldn't find that definition anywhere.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
I'd never heard of this word before this century, but now it seems ubiquitous. Why?

I'm not familiar with the word. I looked it up after your post to see what it meant. I found through the archives that Shufitz had used vetted in one of his posts (Jun 08, 2003), so at least he knew the word!

I found a book in the clearance section of one of my favorite used book stores. The title The Language Police, by Diane Ravitch, looked vaguely familiar. It was one that Kalleh had recommended two years ago (Nov. 6, 2003)! It's sad to think that such a fine book, which sold for $24 when new in 2003, would be on the clearance shelf for $3 (but lucky for me!).

I opened the book and began reading the inside of the dust cover. I encountered the word vetted in the first sentence: "Before Anton Checkhov and Mark Twain can be used in school readers and exams, they must be vetted by a bias and sensitivity committee."

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I found a book in the clearance section of one of my favorite used book stores.

Tinman, when Sunflower and I FINALLY get up your way, I hope you'll take us there! We'll go to Powell's when you're down here!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am literally going to drag the 2 of you together! As close as you 2 are, and as similar as you seem, I am surprised that you haven't met. It is time! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a deal, but Half-Price Books can't hold a candle to Powell's. (Hmm... can't hold a candle to... Now where did that expression come from?)

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
But those smaller stores often have some real gems!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Small bookstores, especially those delightful ones with great character and delicious nooks and crannies, are well worth vetting for the shear pleasure of being in them.

Did I use the new word correctly, Teachers?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller: Did I use the new word correctly, Teachers?
"'Shear' vs. 'sheer'?" he asked, sheepishly. Wink Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller: Did I use the new word correctly, Teachers?
"'Shear' vs. 'sheer'?" he asked, sheepishly. Wink Roll Eyes Big Grin

At least she didn't do a Spoonerism and say, "crans and nookies."