Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drink-related words Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Well, we started out with the perfectly reasonable topic of drink-related words and somehow evolved into a gun control discussion. I'm not complaining, really. That's life.

Possibly someone on this site who is a great deal more clever than I am computer-wise could search the net and find Pat Paulsen's gun control speech that he gave during his run for the presidency in (I believe) 1968. Excerpts:

"Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people! If I'm elected president, you'll be able to have all the guns you want but we're gonna lock up all the bullets!"

(and later in the speech:)

"But let's face it, sometimes you just need a gun. For example, without guns what would you do if you came home unexpectedly and found your wife in bed with another man? Poison him?? Or how about suicide? What are we supposed to do, beat ourselves to death with a stick?!"

As I hope you realize, Pat Paulsen was a comedian. He ran a satirical presidential campaign as part of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour claiming to be a member of the Straight-Talking American Government (or STAG) party. Despite the fact that just before Election Day he televised an appeal to all his followers (and, God, did he have a following!) to not waste their votes on him, he ended up amassing a huge number of the ballots cast. (Didn't carry any states, though.)

Tying this all together with words, I agree with Asa that the terms "bullet" and "cartridge" can lead to unfortunate confusion.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
There, I'm done shooting my mouth off

I doubt it. I certainly hope not.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hope not, too! wink
I am humbled once again. red face Yes, CJ and Asa, I shouldn't have spoken without knowing more about the facts.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Richard, I haven't heard from either beer specialty store so I assume that neither was able to locate those beers that you recommended. Darn!

There was an interesting newspaper article today that may explain why the U.S. has such awful beers. Further, they describe a new mircobrewery which is supposed to be excellent (by our standards, I know!) The Upland Brewing Co. (Bloomington, Indiana) just won the top award at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver for "Upland's Wheat Ale". The article goes on to say that after the Prohibition in 1933 there was a shortage of malt barley, so many brewers substituted corn and rice, which made beers lighter. Local breweries now use as much as 4 or 5 times more grain and 7 or 8 times more hops than most national brands (such as Budweiser and Miller's), giving the newer beers a "bigger, fuller flavor".

Upland's brewery uses ingredients such as herbs and spices, including orange peel and coriander. They also use the water from Lake Monroe and Griffy Lake, which they say is "close to perfect" for making beer. I will let you know. Richard, I am sure you think this is "rubbish"!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The use of herbs to flavour beer has a long and honourable history. Indeed, it is still possible to buy beers that have such flavourings. Froach, a beer made in Scotland, is flavoured with heather.

Upland's beers are, I see, made from wheat, not barley. This style is readily available in the UK and other parts of Europe but has never been as popular as barley-based beers. To my own palate wheat beers taste a little sour, but many aver that this makes them more thirst-quenching. They also tend to be cloudy and this can put off drinkers who have come to expect their beers to be diamond-bright.

The introduction of hops is relatively recent (maybe 350 years?) and they were originally used as a preservative. Although there was some outcry at the time, this "foreign adulterant" was accepted as people became used to the bitterness that hops imparted to the ale. Now the bitter flavour is expected.

The dissolved solids in water affect its character and this is very important in brewing. It was the natural mineral balance in the waters around Burton on Trent that made it, at one time, the brewing capital of the UK. However, now that it is possible to adjust the composition of the liquor (water used in brewing) by adding such minerals as are desired there is no need to move your brewery simply to get the right water supply. Of course, if your supply happens to be right as it comes, then it saves time and money.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am surprised to hear that about the herbs. I thought for sure you would laugh. I am going to try to get that beer then, since I can't seem to locate any of the ones you recommend. I will admit, though, that I am not used to cloudy beers or ales. Does it have actual sediment, or is it just cloudy?

posted Hide Post
I know that Froach were selling their Heather Ale in the US. It is not, though, bottle-conditioned and thus has no sediment. It's still a far better drink than that produced by any of the major US manufacturers.

All Real Ale, whether it is bottle-conditioned or barrel-conditioned throws a yeast sediment which falls to the bottom of the barrel or bottle. To get a clear drink you must draw or pour the beer carefully so as to leave the sediment behind. This is much the same as would be the case if you were pouring a fine claret or vintage port.

As the sediment is only yeast, it can do you nothing but good and I always pour it into the glass and drink it. It's a matter of preference.

Cloudiness in beer is different. Although shaking up the sediment will introduce cloudiness, this will settle out. The cloudiness of some wheat beers is due to proteins that do not settle out. It does not affect the taste, only the looks.

The problem with cloudy beer is, of course that beer that has gone off is also cloudy and so clarity is a guarantee in people's minds that the beer is of high quality.

Beers such as Budweiser do not go off, of course, since they are a sterile product. After the mash has finished brewing it is heated to sterilise it and kill the yeast. It is then filtered. This process also drives off the dissolved carbon dioxide and so the still and clear liquid is then treated with various chemicals such as heading compound and injected with commercially produced carbon dioxide to give it a false sparkle. As you know, it is then served ice-cold to disguise its complete lack of character.

You said that one of the suppliers you contacted had "Hog Black Traditional English Ale" on his system. That is, I am sure, Hog's Back T.E.A. and is a fine drink. Try also the supplier I found and whose site address I posted earlier. (The Hog's Back, by the way, is a hill on the A3 that looks, from a distance, like a hog's back. The brewery is situated there.)

Or, failing that, hop on a plane from Chicago and I will be pleased to show you where you could buy some of our many wonderful beers.

The only problem is - you might not want to go back to Illinois!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, if you're going to spring for a plane ticket to Europe, I would strongly suggest you also visit Germany. Even the average German beers make the best England has to offer taste like Budweiser!

posted Hide Post
Not only is that statement mischevious, it is also untrue as anyone who knows about beer will vouchsafe.

There are some extremely good German beers; there are also some rotten ones - much like the UK, in fact where we, like Germany, have been blighted by the scourge of the chemical factories.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I really am intrigued now about tasting some "real" beers. I again will try to find someone in Illinois who might carry some of your recommendations, and I will also contact that site address. Thanks for the background on Hog's Back T.E.A. My son was with me when I asked for it, and he nearly fainted with embarrassment when I asked for "Hog's Back T.E.A.". He has been teasing me ever since, wondering who this "Englishman" who recommended it is!
I would suspect that either German or English beers/ales would be soooo much better than any I drink that, at least at first, I'd just be happy for a better beer (how' that for diplomacy?!)

posted Hide Post
Today I have received my copy of "What's Brewing" the monthly newspaper of the Campaign for Real Ale and it contains an article on Goose Island IPA.

As you will probably know, Goose Island is a brewery in Chicago which has been brewing since 1988. The IPA (that stands for India Pale Ale) is a reproduction of a British beer style that was very popular in the 19th Century and it was, as the word implies, brewed to supply the British in India. The lengthy voyage meant that ordinary beers would not always remain in good condition and so a strong and very heavily hopped bottled beer was designed.

Although it is far less popular than it used to be (we now have aeroplanes and we don't have colonies!) it is still a good drink.

Goose Island IPA is BOTTLE-CONDITIONED which proves that my assumption about the US nanny-state was wrong. It is also quite strong at nearly 6% ABV and has 70 units of bitterness (that's very bitter). According to the WB taster, "...the hops skip and jump onto the tongue and run it ragged, delivering more juicy fruit than a packet of Wriggly's gum. You'll be smacking your lips long after the last sip..."

I have not tried it but intend to do so today.

As I may have mentioned previously, we are very fortunate in England. Not only do we brew the world's best beers, we also have access to an unrivalled range of beers, wines and spirits from all over the world. In my local Safeway (a very small store by US standards) I can buy wines from over 30 different countries and beers from a similar number - including the USA.

And that includes Anchor Steam and Goose Bay IPA. Not realising that Goose Bay was a BCA (Bottle Conditioned Ale) I had avoided it hitherto. It would be ironic if it proves that it's easier for me to buy it in the UK than it is for you to buy it in Illinois!

Richard English

posted Hide Post
As I write this I have in front of me a glass of Goose Island and a glass of T.E.A. I bought both today at Safeway and decided to do a comparative tasting.

The Goose Bay was the more expensive brew at £1.29 for 335 centilitres as compared with T.E.A at £1.65 for 500 centilitres. However, the Goose Bay is stronger and has to travel several thousand miles to get here so I won't complain!

I am drinking them both at "English Beer" temperatures (around 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit) and I believe that this is about right. Much colder and the taste would go.

Let me say first of all the Goose Bay IPA is an excellent beer - the equal of anything produced here.

The first impression, even before the bottle is opened, is favourable since the front label proudly claims "Bottle Conditioned". The back lable contains the importaant information that the beer is made from malt, water hops and yeast. What, no rice? No heading compound?

Once the bottle is opened and carefully poured (although there is very little sediment) it can be seen that the beer is of a lightish copper colour with a strong, rather fruity nose. As befits a "proper" beer it has very little "fizz" although what there is lingers (as is the case with good champagne).

The first mouthful slides past the tongue quite inoffensively but explodesin the throat, the bitterness creeping onto the sides of the tongue. I do not find the taste as fruity as the nose implied but the 5.9% ABV means that there is an apparent sweetness (the effect of the alcohol) which counteracts the intense bitterness of the brew. This strength also gives the beer staying power. Its flavour remains on the palate for several minutes.

Altogether an excellent beer that deserves to be better known.

The T.E.A. was initially disapointing, although I have always enjoyed it in the past. However, this was simply because I was switching from a strong and heavily flavoured beer to one that was less so. T.E.A. is of only 4.3% ABV, as opposed to the Goose Bay's 5.9%. It was rather like switching from a Claret to a Chardonnay - it would have been better to have tasted the other way round.

However, once I had retrained my taste buds I began to enjoy the T.E.A. A slightly darker copper colour and with a heavier sediment but with much the same level of carbonation. Less nose than the Goose Bay and certainly not having its fruity power.

Less bitter, too but still having a creditably long finish and with a slight sharpness to it - maybe a slightly citrus flavour.

I drink T.E.A. at one of the locals I visit since it's weak enough that a couple of pints won't drag you into "breathalyser territory". It's more what we would call a session beer.

A better comparison would have been between Goose Bay (5.9%) and Fuller's 1845 (6.3%) - but I suspect that you can't get Fuller's over there.

So, maybe you won't need to come over here after all (unless you have to do so to find Goose Bay...)

Richard English

[This message was edited by Richard English on Mon Dec 23rd, 2002 at 10:26.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard,
What a coincidence! I have been dying to post today--but because of many family obligations and errands, I haven't been able to.
I have been wanting to tell you about the Goose Island beer that I had last night! My husband got sick of my complaining that the "U.S. has no good beers" so he went to our nearest beer store (the same store that purports to have Hog's Back T.E.A. in their computer) and bought Goose Island beer, which indeed is made in a microbrewery out of Chicago. We enjoyed a Goose Island beer together. First, I noted that it almost was cloudy--and was much darker than most of our beers, including Anchor Steam. I carefully and slowly drank the beer, savoring every sip. It was much fuller than anything I have had here, though I must confess a bit too bitter for my tastebuds. Yet, I did enjoy it a lot!
On another note, the owner of the beer store says that the Hog's Back T.E.A. should be in one of their stores since it is in the computer. However, they called every store, to no avail. As I left, they had 3 men working on finding that beer for me--in different stores in the Chicago area. If they find it, I have promised to share it with them!

posted Hide Post
It is, indeed, a very hoppy beer and this would seem especially strange to you as most US beers have very little hoppiness (indeed, very little taste at all). Be sure, though, that you will enjoy the second pint even more than the first and the third even more still.

Although dark in colour by US standards it is fairly light as beers go in the UK. You will find that T.E.A. is slightly darker. If you are lucky enough to obtain some Fuller's 1845 you will discover that it is darker still.

Your problem now is that you will find that most other beers you taste will be disappointing - indeed, you will realise why Real Ale drinkers are so scathing about anything made by one of the big US brewers.

By the way, don't drink it too cold. By all means serve it in the traditional US way (33 degrees F) if you feel you have to but but just leave it for a while and try it every few minutes as it warms up. You will find that the flavour developes (as with a good red wine) and, at around 45 - 50 degrees it will probably be about right. A matter of preference, of course - but do try.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Does this mean that hoppy beer makes us happy? razz

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed it does - genuinely.

Hops are a mild soporific and this is one of the reasons why beer can make you sleepy. A pillow filled with dried hops is supposed to promote sound sleep, although I've not tried it, prefering to take my hops in liquid form!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your problem now is that you will find that most other beers you taste will be disappointing -
Indeed! On our way to my relatives in Wisconsin, we stopped at an Inn for dinner which had a list of 80 beers. We ordered their taster's selection of 6, and rated them as we drank. I only liked one of them! On their extensive list of American and European beers, they only had 2 from England--Bass and Newcastle. Quite disappointing.

The soporific aspect of beers is interesting. I have learned more about beer in the last few months than I had learned in a lifetime! big grin

posted Hide Post
It's a shame that the UK - still the fourth largest economy in the world - seems to have forgotten the roots of its success. Which were, of course, as a trading nation. Now we seem to import more than we export, which is good for consumers but less good for the economy. As I said, in my local Safeway I can buy beers from over 30 countries - including several from the USA (Goose Island and two types of Anchor amongst others). I could, if I wished to annoy my friends, buy US Budweiser and if I wished to please them, buy Czechoslovakian Budweiser (I believe it's sold as Czechvar where you are).

Bass was once a great beer (the "red triangle" trademark is the world's oldest, officially registered as trade mark number 1). Sadly it is but a shadow of its former self and even in draught form is only average. In bottle it is poor. Newcastle Brown is a beer whose reputation is greater than its quality. It is a strong beer but has little else to recommend it. It is not bottle-conditioned and, unless you wish to join the ranks of football hooligans and drink it to get drunk, I suggest it is best avoided.

Which was the beer that you liked?

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The 6 beers that we had for the taster's selection were all from Wisconsin breweries:
1) Adler Brau Seasonal Selection (Appleton, Wisconsin)--an ale; thin; bitter aftertaste.
2) Winter Shoal (Capital Brewery in Middleton, Wisconsin) -- my favorite; full-bodied; darker than most American beers, and even slightly cloudly; not as bitter as Goose Island beer.
3) Leinenkugel's Original Lager (Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin)-- Simply awful; we both hated it; Budweiser the second!
4) Point Brewery Special Seasonal Selection (Stevens Point, Wisconsin) -- bitter; not full-bodied; fizzy; no special character though emphatically not a Budweiser.
5) Port Washington Cherry Porter -- an ale; very cherry tasting; my husband's favorite, though too cherry for me.
6) Sprecher Amber (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) -- my second favorite, though a bit thin; fuller than most, however; orange-gold in color and a bit cloudy.

posted Hide Post
Just to throw my two cents in here, it sounds like you and your hubby really enjoyed the experience Kalleh!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Definitely, Morgan. We have always loved that Inn anyway, and it was so festive because of Christmas. And besides that, we were able to experience the taster's selection of beers in a whole different way, all because of this site. wink

posted Hide Post
It's clear to me that the craft beer revival in the US has done wonders for choice.

Sadly it will take many years before the tide of tasteless yellow fizz is turned, if indeed it ever is.

But hope springs eternal - maybe you should talk to CAMRA - http://www.camra.org.uk about an Illinois chapter!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, that does it! I just went to that CAMRA site and decided that I am coming to England. I can see that the beer/ale experience is totally different there.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From the Chicago Sun Times, folks (with picture and all!):
In Bristol, England (Steventon), the owner of a 16th century pub struck his pub 3 to 4 times with his digger. Why? When he walked in at 3:00 am (after New Year's Eve celebrations), his bartender refused to serve him because they were closing! This treasure had been in his family for 177 years! A spokesman for the Campaign for Real Ale said, "...they should bring back the stocks and put them in them". My, my, you Brits do get serious about your beer and ale!

posted Hide Post
Yes, this was reported here as well although no real details were given.

I can only assume that he was drunk since, as the owner of the establishment, he could have simply helped himself once the place had closed. Now he will presumably have to face charges of criminal damage, affray and driving while under the influence...

Incidentally, this year, for the first time since 1917, pubs in England and Wales were allowed to stay open for as long as they wanted during the 36 hour period starting at 1100 on December 31st. Normally the pub would have been closed at 2300 (as would every other in England and Wales (although not, Bacchus be praised, Scotland)

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
According to the Chicago news reports, the reason that the onwer of the pub couldn't help himself to a drink was because he "had lost his liquor license a few years ago." That didn't sound right to me since anyone can pour himself a drink in his home without a license--so I assume that you are right, Richard.

By the way, I recently saw these on a menu and had never seen them before. Are they European?
Tap beers by the yard and half-yard
A 64-ounce tulip of beer

posted Hide Post
A yard of Ale is a specially designed glass a yard (3 feet) long which holds 2.5 Imperial pints (that's rather more than 2.5 US pints, by the way). Yards are commonly seen above the bars of English pubs but they are rarely used except in Yard-drinking competitions. According to Guinness the record for downing a yard is five seconds!

A half-yard is, of course, half the size.

I have never heard of a 64 ounce tulip but suspect it is something like an oversize wine glass. 64 ounces is, of course, the size of a jug (pitcher) and would contain just under half an Imperial gallon (3.4 Imperial pints, to be precise).

In the UK we don't use the expression "tap" in the way you have seen it; beer served from the bar, as opposed to being supplied in a bottle, is traditionally known as draught (draft in US English). The only time you will see the expression "tap" used in relation to the actual serving of beer is when it is referring to "The Brewery Tap". This is a bar or building at, or near, to a brewery which serves its products (a bit like a farm shop).

The other common use for the word tap is in the expression "tapping the barrel" which is the process of preparing the barrrel for serving which, in the case of Real Ale is a fairly complex, skilled and lengthy process. In the case of chemical fizz, it is easy - just screw in the pipe, connect up the gas cylinder and away you go. Just another reason why fizz-beer brewers and those outlets that dispense them would just love to see Real Ale disappear!

There is more information about yards at http://www.the-art-of-drinking.com/html/search2.php3/entryID=8

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
In the Midlands we also use the word "tap" in the expression "taproom". Modern English pubs tend not to bother with distictions between tuypes of bar. Slightly older ones tend to have a "bar" and a "lounge" where the lounge is considered to be more upmarket than the bar. Around here there are still pubs to be found which describe their rooms as the "bar" and the "taproom". The actual description of what constitutes the "taproom" varies from pub to pub but it used to be the place where the older drinkers (I mean the ones in their seventies, eighties and nineties) would gather with their half pints of Mild and their bags of scratchings and talk about how good things were when they were young.
One feature that many of them seemed to share was that they had no bar in them as such with beer being ordered from a doorway to the main bar or a window in the wall.

Incedentally, also in the Midlands of course, the word "tap" is sometimes used (again by older drinkers - for example my Dad) to refer to any and all beers that aren't bottled so it it applies eqhually to proper draft beers and fizzy keg lagers.

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd heard of "the room" from my stepfather (who's from Liverpool) and understood it to be the alternative to "the bar".

In the south of England we used to have a range of different areas in pubs - the public bar (where "working men" would drink); the saloon bar (where "white-collar" workers would drink); the lounge bar (where the nobs could drink); the private bar (where those who were entertaining someone else's wife would drink); the bottle and glass (where grandma would sneak in and buy a couple of bottles of Guinness to take home).

Sadly this practice has now almost died out - officially because we are now "all equal" but really because it was costly. The more bars the more bar staff needed.

However, since we are clearly not all equal, what has now happened is that "one bar" pubs each tend to attract their own kinds of customer. So we have a young persons' pub; a music pub; a working men's pub and so on.

If you happen to be a builder working in an area where there are no "working men's" pubs and no pubs with public bars, then you will be unable comfortably to get a drink directly after work - you will need to clean up first. That's called progress!

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I have today discovered the Hog's Back Brewery's site - http://www.hogsback.co.uk/beers_&_brewing.htm - and it has a useful vocabulary of drink-related words with their definitions. Under "lager" it states: "Mysteriously popular flavourless beverage apparently consisting mainly of gas and water. Not to be found anywhere near the village of Tongham"

A little unfair but understandable if they have drunk only the products of the fizz-factories.

Those living in the USA will be pleased to learn that they do have a stockist there - B.United International Inc. PO Box 661 Redding CT 06896 tel.: 203 938 0713

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great! I am going to contact them. My store failed miserably at trying to locate it for me.

I read a terrible figure over the weekend. 44% of college men and women (in the U.S) are binge drinkers. They defined binge drinking as binging at least 3 times in a 2-week period; binging is consuming 5 or more drinks in succession for men and 4 or more drinks for women. How sad.

I promise I won't binge drink it!

posted Hide Post
Did they define "a drink"?

If they meant a half of beer then I binge drink at least once a week! If they meant a pint, then probably not.

Richard English

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
A sidenote: Under the heading of "Let's make the brains of foreign students learning English explode," the word "binging," by all logic, should either rhyme with "singing" or be spelled "binjing." I believe that Noah Webster had the right idea (spelling "tongue" as "tung" etc) but, of course, it's too late to do anything about it now.

(Sorry for the temporarily sidetracking this thread. Feel free to go back to talking about beer.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, I enjoy talking about beer with our British friends because we have such different experiences.

No, Richard, they did not define a drink. I thought they meant a stein, or bottle, or can of beer. And, remember, that must be done 3 times in a 2-week period.

posted Hide Post
This is one of the problems when measuring consumption.

A Stein, to my mind, would be a litre glass (nearly 2 US pints) a can, over here, is usually around 200-300 centilitres; a bottle could be anything from half a pint to a quart. And that's just beer.

Wine bottles are typically between 700 and 750 centilitres; cheaper wine comes in litres.

Champagne comes as SPLITs; HALF BOTTLES; BOTTLES; MAGNUMS; JEROBOAMS; METHUSELAHS; SALMANAZARS; BALTHAZARS; and NEBUCHADNEZZARS. That's a range of between 187 millilitres and 15 litres!

In the UK we have standard alcohol "units" and most pre-packed drinks state the number of units of alcohol they contain. Typically a glass of wine, half a pint of beer or a single measure of spirits will contain the same amount of alcohol - about one unit. The legal limit for driving will usually be reached at around 3 units - although there is a huge variation according to the drinker's metabolism.

Richard English

[This message was edited by Richard English on Thu Jan 9th, 2003 at 1:15.]

posted Hide Post
Finally, something I can talk about here!

There is a standard for drinks in the US too.

Wine is measured as a 5 oz. glass.
Beer is measured as a 12 oz. glass or can.
80 proof spirits are measured as 1 1/2 ounces.

These all contain the same amount of alcohol according to The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And let's not forget the investment in buying beer!

I guess I've been investing foolishly...

If you had bought $1000 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.

If you had bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the nickel deposit, you would have $79.

Gives you something to think about! Wink

posted Hide Post
Yes, but the problem is that you'd have had to have drunk the beer!

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:

If you had bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the nickel deposit, you would have $79.

Wink

Maybe, but who's going to drink $1000 worth of Bud. ?

Especially if they only have a year to do it.

Edited to Add

In a near simultaneous post Richard just about beat me to that. I must learn to type faster.

posted Hide Post
I suppose you could always use it to trap slugs and snails in the garden.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose you could always use it to trap slugs and snails in the garden.

Richard English

That, and rinse my hair!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I found this site about
drinking words and thought it was fun. I hope you enjoy it too! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have a new word book that has a whole chapter on "drinking" words, though I selected only a few and searched our site to be sure they haven't been posted before:
Barm - froth on beer; sometimes called fob. By the way, there is a special spatula called a "beer comb" which scrapes off the froth. Can't say that I have seen one of those!

Jirble - To pour out a drink unsteadily. What a fun word! Big Grin

Crapulous - meaning related to drunkeness or the drinking of alcohol. It comes from a Latin word meaning "inebriation", itself based on a Greek word meaning "drunken headache".

Then, they used ferruginous, which we have used before, when describing a beer (tasting like water with high iron content). However, other words to describe beer when tasting it are: austere, beery (typical beer), brackish, bright, clean, dank, flabby, skunky, swampy, & tinny.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Ambrose Bierce, I have no trouble remembering "crapulent".
quote:
ABSTAINER, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure. A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but abstention, and especially from inactivity in the affairs of others.

Said a man to a crapulent youth: "I thought
You a total abstainer, my son."
"So I am, so I am," said the scrapgrace caught --
"But not, sir, a bigoted one."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks, Hic. That's great! I have found one more that is priceless! I found this one in a chapter on "medical words":
Beer Drinker's finger: According to my book, this malady has been described in none other than the "Journal of the American Medical Association"! It is discoloration, swelling, or maceration of one's finger as a result of pulling the rings of pop-top beer cans. Razz Big Grin Roll Eyes

Truly, I kid you not!

posted Hide Post
Just another reason for eschewing the ubiquituos beer-can in favour of the more ecologically sound, more attractive, more hygienic and altogether better glass bottle.

Even the contents in a can will never equal in quality those of a bottle since it is not possible to engender a secondary fermentation.

Would you ever consider drinking canned champagne?

Preserve the health of the country - abandon the beer can!

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

Would you ever consider drinking canned champagne?

Richard English

I think you've spotted a gap in the market.

How about it ? Anyone want to invest in my canned champagne venture ?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Or how about "powdered champagne"?

Just add carbonated water!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Or how about "powdered champagne"?

Just add carbonated water!

Razz

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post