Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have the vapors Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is the word of the year, which gives me vapors.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, proof. I always love the words of the year. As for vape, however, I think they could have done better. I think it will be a short-lived word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it will be a short-lived word.

I think maybe not. It depends if the anti-e-smoking lobby can find any empirical proof that it is harmful.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems vapid.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
As a counterpoint to "word of the year", Time recently had a poll asking what word should be banned. On their list they included some strange words but also bossy and feminist. Most of the words polled in single digits but "feminist" received 45% of the total. This seems to have caused a feminist backlash because Time retracted the poll and apologized for including "feminist", tossing out the embarrassing results. I guess it's OK for feminists to ask for their chosen word [I]bossy[/] to be banned but draw the line at their own label being taboo.

<Proofreader>
posted
I don't feel like starting another thread so I'll toss this in here.

If "y'all" means everyone, then does "all y'all" indicate an infinite number of people?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I understand that "y'all" is used when addressing two or more persons, who may or may not be members of a larger group. "All y'all" includes all the members of the group, but not an infinite number. It's quite a useful distinction and it's a shame it's not used over here in the UK.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree with arnie about y'all.

As for banning either bossy or feminist - how ludicrous! The next thing, they'll want to ban bitch. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post