Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borrow Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
On several occasions, over the last month, I've heard people on court shows seeking redress for finances they've disbursed to assorted degenerates in their family. Many used a word in a way I would not consider normal.

John says he gave his brother Jim $400. "I borrowed Jim $400 and he didn't pay me back."

Obviously it is Jim who "borrowed" the money, which John "loaned" to him. I would have thought it an error except at least four different people used "borrow" that way on three separate occasions.

Is this just ignorance or a local usage?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's quite a common confusion. It's certainly a non standard usage but I've heard it many times. I had a colleague who used borrow and lend the wrong way round consistently. I used to drive him as crazy with my replies as he drove me with his usage. Conversations of the form

"Can you borrow me a pencil?"
"Certainly, who shall I borrow it from?"

and

"Can I lend your pencil?"
"That depends who you want to lend it to."

were frequently exchanged in our corner of the office.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"Can you borrow me a pencil?"
"Certainly, who shall I borrow it from?"

and

"Can I lend your pencil?"
"That depends who you want to lend it to."

There's some crossed wiring in there.

posted Hide Post
It's a regional variant found in the Northern area west of the Great Lakes, according to MWDEU.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's quite a common confusion.

Probably because the Old English verb from which borrow is descended, borgian meant both to borrow and to lend (A-H *bhergh- 'hide, protect' link whence also bury, bargain, Bosworth-Toller link).

This is a common enough linguistic occurrence in the semantics of verbs and nouns of reciprocity in Indo-European and other languages. Cf. Sanskrit gam 'to go', Latin venio 'come', Greek βαινω bainō 'come', English come, etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
German "borgen" means both "borrow" and "lend".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably because the Old English verb from which borrow is descended, borgian meant both to borrow and to lend
That's interesting because those words are opposites really. I can't say I've heard "borrow" used to mean "lend." Perhaps it's a regionalism?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<texhenge>
posted
This sort of expression, with many verbs, is fairly common in the South and Southwest of the USA. "That'll learn you a thang or two about regionalisms!"

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've seen the expression used in several regional dialects in the UK, too.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
That's interesting because those words are opposites really. I can't say I've heard "borrow" used to mean "lend." Perhaps it's a regionalism?

I don't hear it often, but I have heard it. Using borrow for lend was one of the usages my high school teachers used to rail against. A guy at work used to say things like "Borry me a dollar" all the time. He was from South Dakota.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post