Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That word again Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
You know, in the million and one discussions we've had about epicaricacy and Schadenfreude it's never occurred to me until five minutes ago that "gloating" seems to be a perfectly adequate substitute.
Roll Eyes

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
gloating

Excellent!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Isn't that the time just before sunrise or sunset when the sun is exceedingly proud of itself, despite what mayhem it may have caused? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the time just before sunrise or sunset

Gloaming?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How interesting. I really hadn't realized that gloating had meant taking malicious pleasure until I read the dictionaries. I had thought it meant a "scornful satisfaction," as one dictionary said. Or as another said, "excessive satisfaction."

I note that the German synonym for it seems to be "sich weiden." How is that different from "Schadenfreude?" The Greek equivalent I couldn't read because of the letters: αισθάνομαι χαιρεκακία. Any Greek readers here? The second looked a little like the Greek version of "epicaricacy," but who knows.

Bob, what a great post for my Blog!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
The difference between gloating and Schadenfreude is that gloating may apply either to excessive happiness at your own success [u]or[/u] at another's failure, whereas Schadenfreude and the E-word are only concerned with the other's failure. Not all personal successes come at the expense of someone else.

Still, Bob's right. It is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, WM. There is somewhat of a difference. I might gloat about a paper that was accepted for publication, thus irritating my friends for my arrogance. Yet, my gloating has nothing to do with someone else's misery. I've only seen it used with that meaning, but perhaps others have seen it used as a synonym for Schadenfreude or epicaricacy.

Still, it's very close.

posted Hide Post
αισθάνομαι χαιρεκακία: aisthanomai khairekakia

The second word is found in ἐπιχαιρεκακία epikhairekakia: χαιρω khairō "to rejoice" + κακος kakos "evil"

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, goofy. So it is considered to be a synonym of epicaricacy, but not Schadenfreude. Interesting.

I will have to look at a published thesaurus (I mostly use the online one) to see what they say synonyms of "gloat" are.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just put sich weiden into the Google Translator, and the answer was, "to gloat over."

As I had said on my Blog, I think the difference is that Schadenfreude and epicaricacy are all about taking joy in others' misery. However, gloat seems more about taking excessive self-satisfaction in one's own successes. Another person doesn't have to be involved.

[Notice how I often find a way of linking to my own Blog? Wink Shameful, isn't it?]

[edited for stupid mistake]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schadenfreude and epicaricacy are all about taking misery in others' joy

Wait - I thought they were about taking joy in another person's misery . . . ?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well of course! I just corrected it, CW. Duh!

Thank you for picking that up.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"That word" was recently printed in the online Times