Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choner Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
In her book U is for Undertow, author Sue Grafton has her character describing getting dressed and putting on various articles including "choners." I can't find any definition for this word. Does anyone know what it refers to? Is it a brand name, although it wasn't in caps?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the context it doesn't make sense. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Choner

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I looked online and found that one, which is obviously wrong. It has to be an item of apparel but some mysterious ladies' garment which has been invented since the last time I undressed a woman. Granted, that was in a Neolithic age, but nonetheless....

posted Hide Post
Then try this on for size: https://www.wordnik.com/words/choners

<Proofreader>
posted
Success!
I actually looked at that one but didn't scroll down far enough.
Have you ever heard that used before?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have not. It must be quite rare.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New to me, but then I don't wear them, so how would I know.

<Proofreader>
posted
Guess who gave me the definition? None other than Sue Grafton. I posted the question on her Facebook page and she says it is from a German term for underwear, mostly women's. Our info is it is Spanish but who knows? I was going to put her e-mail in my scrapbook but I don't have a book and also, what paste do you use for e-mails?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I found chones at mexicanguru.com as Mexican slang for panties. Figures, as Kinsey Milhone novels are set in Santa Barbara (called Santa Teresa in the books). Can't imagine any self-respecting German would use a word that short for underwear Wink

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Can't imagine any self-respecting German would use a word that short for underwear

Not when a bra is schtoppzemfloppen.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Heck - you fooled me! Thank heaven's for Google Translate. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post