Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flavour vs flavoured Login/Join

posted
Our recent digression on the 'reimportation' thread made me think of a great label ploy used here in the UK which I assume is used elsewhere too. If a product is labelled 'strawberry (or whatever) flavour', the flavouring doesn't have to come from real strawberries - it can be artificial. If, however, the label says 'strawberry flavoured', it does have to. Consumers who don't know this and who don't read the often huge ingredients lists can therefore assume there's real fruit in a product that's completely artificial - all perfectly legally.

I learnt this law a long time ago so it might have changed (although I doubt it), but it makes me wonder: How many other advertising ploys exist that rely on word play to mildly distract?

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many other advertising ploys exist that rely on word play to mildly distract?

I thought that was the whole point of advertising - to distract you from the unpleasantries and to call your attention to the positive aspects.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here in the U.S. if a drink says "grape drink" or "orange drink," then it is just that...some sugar flavored drink. However, if it says "orange juice," then it must really be the juice of oranges. Actually, I thought that if a drink says "orange flavored," it could just be some orange flavored sugary drink, as well.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
There are laws about this in England and labels must clearly state whether a thing naturally or artificially flavoured. Of course, many people don't understand the different terms but fortunately all foodstuffs (apart from alcoholic drinks) must contain a full list of their ingredients on the label.

Which is why we, in the UK, know exactly what goes into Coca Cola (and why I would never let a drop pass my lips - I would sooner drink bottled water :-))

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Diet Coke makes me shudder.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I stopped drinking sodas a few years ago, and I don't miss them at all. Generally, the only carbonation of any kind I'd get would be a beer . . . a good beer now, thanks to you all.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that was the whole point of advertising - to distract you from the unpleasantries and to call your attention to the positive aspects.

Lol! You're right, of course - I was talking specifically about very similar words with incredibly subtle differences.

Any diet drink makes me shudder too, Graham - as does the 'low fat' rubbish that lines supermarket shelves. One low-fat chocolate mousse my friend bought thinking it was 'healthier' than the ordinary variety had about six different types of sugar in it - and what does sugar turn into if you don't burn it off???

Many nutritionists agree that if you can't avoid 'bad' foods completely it's better to eat the real thing occasionally than low sugar (full of sweeteners), low-fat alternatives all the time.

For example, I've been avoiding hydrogenated fats as much as I can for the past decade (in favour of small amounts of butter when using spreads or baking), and only now are the mainstream companies getting on board and cutting it from their products. Makes it easier to shop, anyway... Smile

I always check labels, and the more ingredients a product has that either I've never heard of or that sound distinctly un-foodlike, the more likely I am to put it back.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always check labels, and the more ingredients a product has that either I've never heard of or that sound distinctly un-foodlike, the more likely I am to put it back.

Of course, good beer contains barley malt, hops, yeast - and water. That's it and that's all. Now you know why it's so good for you!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Only marginally related but I'm not sure what to make of the sign on a local car dealer that says

Up To £2000 Trade-In Minimum

I find myself trying to work out the smallest and largest trade-in I could expect and completely unable to do so.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post