Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Euphemisms make a mulligan for wrecklessness.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euphemisms make a mulligan for wrecklessness. Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Several things about the passage below, from today's Wall Street Journal editorials.
  • We see incredibly creative exercises in the art of misleading euphemism: 'debt relief' and 'off-market transaction'.
  • We see a interesting term of art, HIPC.
  • There's evocative use of regular words, mulligan and legerdemain.
But two questions:
– Is the word 'mulligan' familiar to those unacquainted with golf?
– Is 'wrecklessly' a pure goof, or is there some meaning or pun that escapes me?

Anyhow, the passage:
    Tony Blair visits Bush today to make his case for new G-7 aid to the world's poor, particularly Africa. But Mr. Blair's proposal amounts to a mulligan for borrowers and the multilateral institutions that lent money so wrecklessly.

Some 38 nations qualify as "highly indebted poor countries," or HIPCs. Despite $144 billion in bad loans, lenders stopped expecting repayment years ago. In fact, since 1985 the HIPCs have been regular recipients of new funds to cover their debt service so the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund can boast – preposterously – that they've never made a bad loan. These lenders have also figured out that they can wring more foreign aid out of donor countries if they call this process "debt relief." So rather than writing down their worthless assets the way normal banks do with their bad commercial loans, these lenders now want the G-7 to cover their losses, including interest due.

The free money crowd has come up with an accounting scheme worthy of Enron. The idea is for the IMF to "sell" the gold currently on its books at $52 per ounce in an "off-market transaction" for its market value of about $430 an ounce, and then buy it back at the same price. This legerdemain will allow the IMF to book a "profit" and suddenly look rich.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Never heard of 'mulligan'. And 'wrecklessly' has some 7000 ghits, many of which are evidently intended seriously. 'Wreckless' has 280 000 ghits, but excluding Wreckless Eric brings it down to 200 000. There's a computer game Wreckless, let's see if we can eliminate that too: "wreckless -eric -game" brings it down to 80 000, or 50 000 with a couple more like "-xbox -yakuza". Now the interesting thing about these is that all the top ranking pages seem to be using it as puns, titles, and so on. Very little of an ordinary word 'wreckless'.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of mulligan either, so I did some Googling and found this explanation.

My guess is a typo or sheer ignorance for wrecklessly. It does have the hallmarks of an eggcorn, but it's not in their database.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I'd never heard of mulligan.
Eek Eek Eek A WORD THAT ARNIE'S NEVER HEARD OF ?!?!?!? Eek Eek Eek

<shufitz is now being taken to hospital, suffering from cardiac arrest>

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu, I imagine "mulligan" isn't used in England.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a golfer, only watched a few times on television, and obviously there is no talk of Mulligans in pro gulf. Anyway, I've never heard the word Mulligan in the golf context.

I have heard the word Mulligan in sense of Magic: The Gathering, a card game, where if your initial hand of cards is so terrible you can't play anything, you can take a "Mulligan" and draw a new hand.

My trumpet teacher used to run me through my scales, and if I had done them all perfectly except for one he'd let me take a "Mulligan" and try again. Eventually, I somehow figured out it was a golf term.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I knew a word arnie didn't know. Mind, the ONLY reason that I knew it is that I used to have a golf computer game that used the term.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard the word Mulligan in sense of Magic: The Gathering

Aw, you beat me to it! I've recently been indoctrinated into the joys of Magic by Bill (aka mutualdesire), and won my first two games, as anyone reading my Live Journal will know. I then considered retiring undefeated, but that fell by the wayside when I realised that continuing to play (especially when we lay bets on the outcome) was more fun Big Grin.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Be careful, Cat! That's the way card sharps operate! They let you win the first couple of games to get you interested...

Not that I'm implying that mutualdesire is a card sharp, oh dear me no! Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Oh, he doesn't need to let me win a couple of card games to get me interested, arnie Smile.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Cat,

Is that so? VERY interesting... Cool

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Cat,
You can see we are all interested in your love life.. and wanting to protect you. My son plays Magic, but I have never understood the desire. Perhaps you can explain it better than he can.

He swears the game helped him on the Vocab section of his SAT's.

And what about Mulligan Stew? Isn't that a British thing? Someone enlighten me.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mulligan Stew

Are you perhaps thinking of Mulligatawny Soup? That's a spicy Anglo-Indian soup that is delicious! Here's a recipe.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps you can explain it better than he can.

Well I don't know about SATS, but there is certainly plenty of vocab to learn! In fact, some of it isn't necessarily in common usage amongst teens, so it's a good way to learn them - and have them stay in the mind.

Hmm, let's see. As a beginner I'm probably not the best person to extol the virtues of the game, but I'll have a go. It's a game of strategy, so you really get to exercise your brain. Some of it depends on the luck of the draw, of course, but being well acquainted with your cards, their strengths and how they best interact with everything else means you can wangle a victory out of a seemingly useless hand. It's not just about the person with the biggest creature or baddest spell winning - cunning and versatility are very necessary skills to have.

It's also relatively simple to get started and play a basic game (providing you have a good teacher Smile), so you don't have to memorise too much information before you're even handed the cards; you can add the extras in as you get used to how everything works. Due to the randomness of shuffled cards, each game is different, even if you play with the same deck (you choose your deck from hundreds of cards so if you want to use different ones there are always plenty of options available).

Aesthetically speaking, the cards are generally stunning, with some beautiful pictures on them. I'd like a bit more background for the characters etc printed on the cards themselves, but I suspect I can find that somewhere else.

Then there's the social aspect - you can't exactly play it alone. It can be a good way to make new friends as you've immediately got something in common, so it can help people who are shyer than most to get involved in group activities that they'd normally steer clear of - it's far easier to talk with new people about something you know well and share enjoyment of, after all.

And, of course, perhaps the most important thing: it's fun Big Grin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cat,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Cat,
You can see we are all interested in your love life.. and wanting to protect you.
This is very reassuring. The more I meet Cat's friends, the more I get an entire picture of a whole group of people who want only good things to happen to Cat, and that fills me with warmth.
quote:
My son plays Magic, but I have never understood the desire. Perhaps you can explain it better than he can.
I can't speak for Cat, but for me, I could explain some of the attraction...

One of the three fundamental breakthroughs of magic is the fact that the basic rules are relatively simple - and from then on, the cards redefine and reshape the rules (if you've ever played fluxx, that's a similar concept but greatly simplified in execution). This means, that from a game theory point of view, very few things are incapable of being expressed.

Playing it often, I find that whenever I start a new game, it is very simple to see common ground. The easiest way to describe Magic is as a combination of Chess, Bridge and Poker - as it exercises all the skills therein.

Also, because of the way the cards shape the game (they release a new set of them every few months, a total of over 5000 different cards), there is never a lack of exploratory appeal. The joy most people have when they first learn a game of 'oh my gosh, does it really work that way' is a neverending joy for magic players, due to the constant supply of new cards. Almost every game you play involves cards you've never seen before or interactions between cards you've never seen before (yes, as cards are developed, they can slot together almost like lego). And yet, throughout the discovery of different cards, people learn that there are common themes.

This understanding of a 'deeper truth' is a quest which many people love magic for - and one which is also constantly getting redefined.

By the way, Cat, there are novels printed with every set, so you can read up on the background stories of the characters - and the newest block has the makers of the set telling a dozen or so stories. In general, the stories aren't greatly written - but this set has the flavour of the game really pushed, so they're making a big deal of it. I can lend you a book if you choose.

Posts: 7 | Location: Birmingham, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hehe - simulposting again Wink. Thanks for responding to my text so quickly.

(now get back to work - I don't want to get you into trouble!)

posted Hide Post
quote:
(now get back to work - I don't want to get you into trouble!)
Done Big Grin

It's ok, using official quota time so even after this I could have another 25 minutes and it'd be kinda ok. Feels much better now, as am less likely to feel like I have to hide it. Coming to the end of the course anyway, so am likely to go home early and sleep for an hour or so before the movie.

Posts: 7 | Location: Birmingham, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sleep before film. I've been doing silly memes on LJ when I should've been sleeping. will go and do that now. Ish.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by arnie: "Are you perhaps thinking of Mulligatawny Soup? That's a spicy Anglo-Indian soup that is delicious! Here's a recipe."

Delicious, yes; but not 'Anglo-', I believe, in spite of what the link says.

Originally posted by KHC: "And what about Mulligan Stew? Isn't that a British thing? Someone enlighten me."

An Irish stew, I think (or Irish-American?), with a lamb base, although often altered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ah, so according to the mavens, Mulligan stew is an Americanism. No wonder I didn't recognise it.

Why the demurral about 'Anglo-', Shu? It's certainly not Indian alone, any more than a Balti curry is Indian.

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Cat and mutualdesire on your postings re: Magic, The Gathering. My son loved reading it! and now I know so much more than he could ever tell me..

I can't open Tinman's link to Mulligan Stew.. but have found another one. Not that I'll ever make it! Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:
Thank you, Cat and mutualdesire on your postings re: Magic, The Gathering. My son loved reading it! and now I know so much more than he could ever tell me..

I can't open Tinman's link to Mulligan Stew..

Well, here it is again, all opened up.

quote:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20010301

Warren Thompson wrote:

Kindly provide definitions for mulligan as in mulligan stew and take a mulligan.

Actually, Warren, mulligan has a whole stew full of meanings. The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang lists seven. The first is 'an Irish person'. It came into print around 1875, and it was often used derisively. Next, we have 'Irish whiskey', followed by 'a stew made of odds and ends of vegetables and meats', then 'a logging vehicle used to bring a work crew to meals', a police officer or guard', 'a second chance to play a golf shot' and, finally, 'any unexpected second chance'. This last meaning came late on the scene; the HDAS says it first appeared in print in 1996. By the way, the Oxford English Dictionary says that mulligan should begin with a capital letter when referring to the freebee golf shot. Other sources do not agree.

What most sources do agree upon is that the word probably came from someone named Mulligan. We're talking about different Mulligans, of course. We can assume it wasn't the same Mulligan who created (or made popular) the renowned, belly-satisfying stew as the Mulligan who first bent the rules and made life joyous for duffers forevermore--and so on. In any case, Mulligan was, and is, a common Irish name. The OED's first citation for the "stew" mulligan is 1904; the first for the "golf" mulligan is 1946.

Let's tee off. The Historical Dictionary of Golfing Terms tells me that a mulligan is 'permission by a player (forbidden under the rules) to an opponent to replay a misplayed shot', but has no clue as to the word's origin. I had much better luck with Language of Sport, which states that the word, or phrase, is named after Canadian golfer David Mulligan. "In the late 1920s," LOS says, "Mulligan, who provided transportation to the golf course for his regular foursome, was given a second ball after mishitting his drive off the first tee with hands still numb from driving over a particularly bumpy bridge at the course entrance." I called Karen Hewson, Director of the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame and Museum to see if there was anything to this. She allowed that she knew the story well but had no official records concerning Mr. Mulligan himself. She retrieved a copy of History of Golf in Canada. "In this book," she said, "Mulligan's drive is very dramatic." The foursome's drive to the country club culminated, Hewson read to me, "in a frightening passage across a bridge that was built not for cars but for horse-drawn wagons. Since they were teeing off only moments after the very difficult drive, the driver [Mulligan, of course] was usually in a mild state of shock." His friends, presumably grateful they didn't have to drive over that bridge themselves, were more than happy to grant Mulligan a second chance.

Mulligan stew, which is also simply called mulligan is, according to A Dictionary of Americanisms, "said to have originated among tramps." That makes perfect sense, since it's a hodge-podge of ingredients. The DOA cites a 1926 book called You Can't Win: "He's crazy as a bed bug and the best 'mulligan' maker on the road." In case you find yourself on the road with little means, here's a recipe. The Dictionary of American Regional English says that among loggers a mulligan was the railroad car (usually the caboose) that brought them out their noontime meals: "The term referred to the mulligan soup which was served." It appears to have originated in California.

Whatever the truth of the matter, golfers, and lovers of good stew, have several resourceful, anonymous Mulligans to thank.

Richard

As you can see, Mulligan stew consists of whatever you want to put in it.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, so according to the mavens, Mulligan stew is an Americanism. No wonder I didn't recognise it.

There you have it. Arnie knows every English word known to man, except for "Mulligan!" Wink

While "Mulligan" stew seemed to originate among tramps, according to Tinman's site, it didn't really indicate where it originated. The Mulligan in golf came from Canada and the Mulligan as an Irish person or Irish whiskey originated from the UK. So, those definitions aren't really Americanisms, though "Mulligan stew" might be.

I was intrigued by Arnie's use of "card sharp." I have only heard of "card shark."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:While "Mulligan" stew seemed to originate among tramps, according to Tinman's site, it didn't really indicate where it originated.

The last sentence says, "It appears to have originated in California."

Tinman

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Tinman, for copying the link.. Smile Please take a mulligan on the next posting.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry I wasn't clear, Tinman. To me, appears to have originated in California, tells me that it is only an assumption and of course no other details are given. I franky suspect it originated either in the UK or in Canada where the other references to Mulligan originated...though again that is just an assumption, based on no facts! Wink

posted Hide Post
From the article I would assume it was named after a hobo, probably in Calfornia, named Mulligan.

Tinman

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Since the 'stew' use of mulligan is not used over here, I doubt that it originated in the UK. What does the The Dictionary of American Regional English (cited by the mavens) say about it? That seems to be the reason for the "appears to have originated in California" comment.

Sadly, DARE does not appear to be online, but part seems to be at http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dare/DYSADARE.html

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I franky suspect it originated either in the UK or in Canada where the other references to Mulligan originated...

Uh, I meant "frankly," and not "franky!" Roll Eyes

quote:
From the article I would assume it was named after a hobo, probably in Calfornia, named Mulligan.

It is funny how people can read the very same thing and interpret it so differently. I took it to be a off-the-cuff assumption.

Arnie, I couldn't find it in that link of yours, so I will look it up the next time I'm in the library or at the book store. I did see "lawyer bird" in your link, though, and loved the reason they call it that: "because of its long bill and its oft-repeated vociferations!"

posted Hide Post
's the recipe for the Mulligan stew that will be served at the 2005 National Hobo Convention in Britt, Iowa on August Here . The convention has been held in Britt since 1900. “Totem Pole” Rik and Captain Cloud, Grand Duke of Hoboes speak about their experiences at past conventions.

Hoboes take offense at the OED Online's definition of hobo:
quote:
An idle shiftless wandering workman, ranking scarcely above the tramp’ (Funk)."
1889 Ellensburgh (Wash.) Capital 28 Nov. 2/2 The tramp has changed his name, or rather had it changed for him, and now he is a ‘Hobo’.

Wikipedia is more charitable:
quote:
Hobos generally apply the term hobo only to itinerant people who work. In contrast, they define a tramp as a itinerant person who does not work, and supports himself by other means e.g. begging or scavenging. Alternatively, a tramp is somebody who prefers to walk or hitchhike rather than ride the rails. A bum is a homeless person who neither travels nor works. Both are terms of derision within the hobo community.

Online Entomology traces the word back to 1899 and says it may be derived from hawbuck, an early 19th century English dialect word for "lout, clumsy fellow, country bumpkin," or from from ho, boy, a workers' call on late 19c. western U.S. railroads. The Old Town School of Folk Music says the American hobo originated at the end of the Civil War and the dismissal of thousands of soldiers. Many had no homes or jobs to return to and became itinerants, traveling the country searching for work. Most of the jobs they found were farming jobs, where they were called "hoe boys." "Boy" had racial connotations, so it was changed to "beau," then to "bo." Most people associate hoboes with the Great Depression of the 1930s.

This site says Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas was a former hobo, but this makes me doubt it:
quote:
Using “literary license,” Douglas wrote three memoirs in which the American public was led to believe that he had suffered from polio as an infant and was raised by an impoverished, widowed mother whose life savings were stolen by the family attorney. He further chronicled his time as a poverty-stricken student sleeping in a tent while attending Whitman College, serving as a private in the Army during World War I, and “riding the rods” like a hobo to attend Columbia Law School. Murphy's research reveals for the first time that none of these claims were true, but rather were Douglas' attempts to persuade the public that he should have been president, like his hero Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Judge Richard A. Posner of Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals reviews Wild Bill: The Legend and Life of William O. Douglas.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:

Tinman

Nah, Mulligan was an aeroplane! http://www.arkairmuseum.org/mulligan.html
Arkansas Air Museum -- Mr. Mulligan

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone told me the other day about the origin of the word Kathy when used for toilet paper. They said that in the year 1978, George Tenille and his girlfriend Kathy were having an intimate moment when George noticed toilet paper sticking to his tongue. When he told his friend Keith about the situation, Keith and his girlfriend Michelle started calling toilet paper Kathy. This was in a small town, and as a result, the euphemism spread, and people began calling toilet paper Kathy. I am wondering if anyone else has heard toilet paper referred to as Kathy?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've certainly never heard of that. It may be because I'm from England though. Where are you from, Suemantic? I must say the whole story sounds unlikely.

Oh, and welcome to the board! Smile

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm from the States, and I've never heard of George Tenille, his girlfriend Kathy, or kathy as a euphemism for toilet paper. Do you have any more information?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard of Captain and Tenille; is George her husband or brother, perhaps? Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
First...Welcome to Wordcraft, Suemantic! Glad to see you here. Smile Big Grin Wink Cool

I tried to look it up on Google and found nothing. It must be very regional.

BTW, I looked at euphemisms on "Answers.com" and found a comment saying that an editor expressed concern that the topic may be unencyclopedic. Does that mean that the editor thinks the material is incorrect? Here is the link.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

The page on Answers.com is a rip-off of a Wikipedia article. If you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemisms then click on the "discussion" tab towards the top of the page you can see the editors' discussion on the page. I can't see the discussion mentioned on Answers.com, though, so maybe they've resolved it.

I'd think that, by "unencyclopedic", the editor felt that they were straying too far from the purpose of Wikipedia; to provide an online encyclopaedia. I guess that he probably thought a list of euphemisms more properly belonged in Wikipedia's sister project, Wiktionary.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, thanks, Arnie.

I was with a group of "seasoned" (a euphemism for "old!") faculty members, and we were talking about our early days as students. It used to be a major problem about how to ask a patient if he wanted to wash his own genitals, or if we (the student nurse) should wash them. We were talking about our euphemisms, like, "Do you want to finish your bath?" Or, "Would you like your wife to finish your bath? (One wife said, 'No!')" However, my favorite was:

"I will wash above the border and below the border. Do you want to wash the border?" Apparently many nurses used to say that! Big Grin

We all agreed that today's student nurse would find that part much easier.

posted Hide Post
Mulligan

Tinman