Wordcraft Community Home Page
PRECONIZE

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1881077124/m/1750021596

August 21, 2019, 19:58
bethree5
PRECONIZE
Please vote for the definition of PRECONIZEWhat does "preconize" mean?1.to hold preliminary deliberations with attorneys before convening a Grand Jury2.to lack awareness3.to estimate a number between 0 and 1, as used in fuzzy logic4.to know something before it happens5.to announce or commend publicly6.in drafting, specifying the points used prior to lofting a multi-dimensional object7.to subconsciously anticipate awareness of another's presence8.to acquire information, as before an invasion; to engage in surveillance (see reconnaissance)9.to shape into a cone during manufacture10.to flatter11.to feel you know a person or place the first time you meet a person or visit a place, also known as déja-vu12.to foresee
August 22, 2019, 11:35
Geoff
They all have to do with foreknowledge except 5 and 10, and they seem similar to one another, but unlikely. Oh, what to do, what to do...
August 22, 2019, 16:09
haberdasher
I was gonna pick #6, but then I reread “...lofting a three-dimensional object” and scratched my head too many times to vote for it.
August 27, 2019, 21:16
bethree5
Hi all, back from vacation. Four people submitted daffynitions, so somebody didn't vote!

And maybe there are other folks waking up from summer sloth who would care to vote-- come one, come all!
August 28, 2019, 13:35
Geoff
It's good to be a sloth in the summer. https://www.chimuadventures.co...rstock_157876628.jpg
August 29, 2019, 18:18
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
It's good to be a sloth in the summer. https://www.chimuadventures.co...rstock_157876628.jpg

That picture is adorable! Only I think of myself more as a dog... when people are around and busy, I'm full of pep. When alone, I'm like my old lab, turning 3 circles around a good spot & plopping down to sleep.
August 30, 2019, 13:05
Geoff
I had a young pit bull turn three circles around me this morning. Then three more. Then thhhrr-eeeeeeeeee... We caught her running loose. No ID tags, just a collar. When Sue put a leash on her she took off and made me the axle of a canine merry-go-round. Thank goodness the animal control officer got here quickly! My innards are still going twice as fast as my outards. Ohhhhh... I think I prefer your dog.
September 04, 2019, 08:45
bethree5
Yippee, do I win? Only one person voted for the actual definition-- or does that mean that person "won"?

But of course, ahem, this game is simply for our edification & vocab-bldg., right? Roll Eyes

Anyone want to guess which of the four votes is correct, or shall I just spill the beans?
September 05, 2019, 06:08
sattva
I voted for #8. I felt like I had come across the word somewhere, but just couldn't place it. In the end, I just guessed. I think either 8 or 1 is the winner. As for who won, I have no idea how best to judge. Who gets it right or who got the most right, you decide Bethree5. Since it's a tie, again. You could vote for who you think had the most interesting answer. I am looking forward to learning the correct one.
September 05, 2019, 15:29
bethree5
Here were the authors:
Kalleh #1 (one vote)
sattva #2, #7, #11
Geoff #3, #6, #10 (one vote), #12
haberdasher #4, #8 (one vote), #9

And the real definition of “preconize”, garnering one lucky vote, is: “to announce or commend publicly.” An obscure and relatively useless word Razz I chose it because it resembles “recognize” and “precognizant” but of course has nothing to do with either, because “con” is just a prefix, not a verb root meaning “to know.” The actual word root is the Latin noun “praeco,” meaning herald or crier; it became a verb in Late & Medieval Latin.

I came across it in a wikipedia article about a period in Spanish literature: “The Generation of ’27 [1927] made a frequent use of visionary images, free verses and the so-called impure poetry preconized by Pablo Neruda.”

As I recall we usually just play this for fun - i.e., winner isn't forced to pick the next word! No winner this game anyway- I could only have one if no one guessed the meaning correctly.
September 11, 2019, 17:24
Geoff
Wow, you foolboozled us all!

I have one if I may submit it, but, given my scrambled brain, someone else will need to do the poll. Shall I do it anyway? Or has someone else got a good one?
September 15, 2019, 20:08
bethree5
Don't worry about using the poll tool, Geoff. In this game we traditionally just spell stuff out "longhand." I only used the poll because I'm used to it.