Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Word Games    VOTE: BLUFFING GAME - SPANGHEW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VOTE: BLUFFING GAME - SPANGHEW Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Please post below your guess as to which of these is the actual meaning of the word SPANGHEW

1. An adjustable wrench

2. Corporal punishment. Threat by a parent trying to stop a child's undesired behavior, viz: "If you don't stop that I'm going to SPANGHEW!"

3. A former concentration camp in Poland

4. to throw violently into the air, especially to throw (a frog) into the air from a stick

5. A dialect word (Aus.) for left-handed

6. A confusing statement

7. Old English: a sharp tool for clearing saplings and middle-sized brush, combining the features of an axe and a machete

8. A technique used in embroidery

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since "hew" is a part of it I'll guess #7, although #5 appeals.

Speaking of Australian, what happened to Greg?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post

Not sure what happened to Greg. He seems to pop in and out from time to time.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll have a go at 6

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great collection of offerings. I haven't the slightest. I'll take 5, but acknowledge it's a wild guess...

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oops, a week went by! I'll reveal all tomorrow...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow was yesterday. Big Grin

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
SPANGHEW: Nos 5, 6, & 7 got the votes.

1. An adjustable wrench – by Geoff. Plausible, but no bites.

2.Corporal punishment. Threat by a parent trying to stop a child's undesired behavior, viz: "If you don't stop that I'm going to SPANGHEW!" Doncha love it? By haberdasher – no votes.

3.A former concentration camp in Poland – by Geoff, no votes.

4. to throw violently into the air, especially to throw (a frog) into the air from a stick The real meaning, I kid you not!! No votes.

5. A dialect word (Aus.) for left-handed – by BobHale - Hab liked it!

6. A confusing statement – Geoff roped in Bob & Kalleh!

7. Old English: a sharp tool for clearing saplings and middle-sized brush,combining the features of an axe and a machete – by haberdasher: Geoff went for it!
8. A technique used in embroidery – BobHale. This would have been my choice, Bob.

I found “spanghew” at this link, which reports: “Although it originally involved an unsavory pastime in which sticks were used to hurl frogs into the air, spanghew has had other meanings as well. For example, one 19th century report refers to a particular horse's insistence on "spang-hewing" its riders. (Spang, by the way, is a verb in its own right. It's mostly used in Scotland and means "throw" or “jump”.)”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

posted Hide Post
Well done, Bethree! Thanks for the link to all those other words that we now can't use for another round. Roll Eyes I only knew one of them.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oopsy-daisy Big Grin

posted Hide Post
If one catapults a female sheep does one spangewe?