Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Word Games    Prefix Suites
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prefix Suites Login/Join

Picture of KB
posted
Hiya folks, new to the site. I know I haven't posted other than a couple PM's before, but I was reminded of one of my minor fascinations tonight, and thought I'd share.

See, every once in a while, I get it in my head to look for "suites" of words that differ only by prefix, say "apply, comply, imply, reply". The limits I put on this varies, but generally I look for the longest common root (say, a point a letter of the English root), bonus if the root itself is a word (double total score), another bonus for each word with an obscure/obsolete/archaic usage note (double score on that word); never worked out how to add it to the score, but also consider it a bonus if the words don't carry related meanings in modern common usage (iffy to determine).

So, in the example set "apply, comply, imply, reply", the root is "ply" is 3 points & I have four variants in the suite for 12 points, 24 total since the root itself is a word in the dictionary. One of my favorite suites is "assuetude, consuetude, desuetude, mansuetude"; think I've forgotten a couple, but the suite I gave had a root of 7 letters, each doubled for being obsolete/archaic/obscure, and has four variants for a total 56 points. (And given they mean "habit, familiarity, disuse, and mannerliness", I'm tempted to add a bonus like doubling for their apparent separations in meaning.)

Is this something you folks might be interested in?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site, KB, and to the games forum. I understand the suites of words, and that sounds like fun . . . but the point system somewhat baffles me. Can we just play for the joy of playing?

apply, comply, imply, reply . . .

supply?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post