Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Tomorrow's Chat
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomorrow's Chat Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Kalleh - Will you send me the link? I will try my best to be present, it sounds like such fun. I really need to start studying Latin..I'm out of my league, most of the time. Big Grin

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hoo, I am out of my league too. What with arnie in the Bluffing game and the discussion of tonality, I am just holding my head above water!

I just sent a private topic to you, CJ, Jheem, aput, and Robert, giving you the link to the Chats and to the Member Photos. Hopefully we'll have a fullhouse on the 28th!

Posts: 24357 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know that Richard won't be able to join tomorrow's chat, but I hope the rest of you will. Hopefully, newcomers jheem and KHC will be there as well. It will start at:
10 a.m. PST
11 a.m. MST
12 noon CST
1 p.m. EST
1800 GMT (is GMT right? UK time)

Hope to see you there! Wink

BTW, recall that we chat on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month at those times. The March schedule is:
March 13
March 27

Oh, and let me know if you need the link to our MSN Wordcraft Community, which includes the chat room and our photo gallery.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm off to the computer shop tomorrow to see what they can do about my hard drive problem so I may not have a computer at all !
If you don't hear from me I'll be in touch next week from work.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 8627 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I'll be at a friend's home recovering from a birthday party the night before. I've tried to get this guy up on this site in the past so maybe we'll make an appearance. The party promises to be a barnburner (another favorite term) so I can't eactly promise to be awake by noon the next day.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CJ, being "not exactly awake", is probably more than we can handle anyway. I hope to make it.. if not, don't talk about me while I'm gone Wink

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Hope to be there.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We missed you, CJ and KHC. Bob, I hope you got the computer fixed! And, hopefully Richard will be aboard next time.

We had a real treat today, though. Guess who joined us after such a long hiatus? museamuse! For those of you who don't know her, she is a translator who lives in Athens. jheem, arnie, Shu and I were also there, and I was definitely the weakest link. I listened a lot though! The discussion was mostly linguistics, and it was marvelous.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Actually I was exaggerating when I talked about anticipating sleeping in (way in) after the party but that's exactly what ended up happening. I didn't rouse myself until roughly 1 p.m. so that was that.

Maybe next time...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well it wasn't exactly too late...we were on until 2:00, CST. Wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
My bad. The chat from the previous week petered out after 20 or 30 minutes. I'll check it out more dilligently the next time the opportunity comes up but weekends generally are my busiest times work-wise.

(Now, had I known museamuse was going to be there I would have skipped the party!)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Can I assume the chat is on for this coming Saturday? I may be able to be in on it at the beginning.

(OK, OK, don't everybody knock over their chairs in their rush to jump up and applaud!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, there will be another chat on Saturday. Again, it will be at:
10 am PST
11 am MST
12 noon CST
1 pm EST
1800 GMT

We have fun getting to know each other. If you'd like to join us and don't have the URL, just let me know via private topic.

Thanks for the reminder, CJ. See you there! Wink

[BTW, jheem, if you are reading this thread, WinterBranch nominated you to post the next word in the Bluffing game. We'd love a new player! Cool]

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Thu Mar 11th, 2004 at 20:00.]

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I should be there although I'm in London during the day.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I should be there (provided my memory works better than some recent Saturdays).

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll try again.
This new board format has more teething problems than a room full of babies.

I tried to post that I might not be there for the chat as I have too much work to do and can't do it on Sunday because I'm on the desk at an open day all day.

I'll pop in if I can.

posted Hide Post
I can't get into the chatroom.

All I get when I log in is a little icon in the top left corner.

If I click on memnbers and chat there is message that says that MSN chat was closed last October!

I'll keep trying but don't hold out much hope.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder that the next scheduled chat will be tomorrow (27 March). It is scheduled to start at:
10 a.m. PST
11 a.m. MST
12 noon CST
1 p.m. EST
6 p.m. GMT.

Remember we now have our own chat room! To access it either choose Go > Chat Rooms or go to the Wordcraft Community Home Page and choose the link to the Chat Room.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
I hope to make it for a short while. I have to be in Dorking by 2000 for a concert but I won't need to leave here until about 1900.

I'll probably not get onto the board until about 1820, so that gives me half an hour or maybe a bit more

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I will be in a meeting in Washington DC at that time.

Hmmm, Dorking? It begs the question, do dorks live in Dorking.....oh, never mind! Wink

posted Hide Post
Quote "...It begs the question, do dorks live in Dorking.....oh, never mind..."

No. Dorks live in the USA. They do not exist in England.

Richard English

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Dorking is from Dorchinges 'the family or followers of Deorc'. (Many British placenames that end in -ing have similar meanings, but with different personal names.) It figures in the late 19th century novel by George Chesney The Battle of Dorking. I've been to Woking and Guil[d]ford, but not Dorking. Nice county Surrey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jheem,

posted Hide Post
Dorking is famous for a number of things, including the Dorking fowl - which has five toes. It is also famous for the Leith Hill Music Festival, founded by local composer Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Guildford (note the D) is a rather larger town, on the River Wey - and no, I don't know why it's not called Weyford

Richard English

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Guildford (note the D) is a rather larger town, on the River Wey - and no, I don't know why it's not called Weyford

Thanks, Richard, I've corrected my post. My placenames dictionary gives: ca. 880 Gyldeforda < gylde + forda 'ford by the gold-colored [i.e., sandy] hill', but it seems just a guess on the editor's part. I had never heard of the Dorking fowl. Thanks.

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Dorks live in the USA. They do not exist in England.

No, the soccer hooligans ate them all.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

No. Dorks live in the USA. They do not exist in England.

I must disagree. They may not exist in your lexicon or mine but - along with geeks, nerds and dweebs - they certainly exist for the average modern teenager who watches mainly imported US TV and, for reasons that make sense only to the teenage mind, likes to ape transatlantic slang.

posted Hide Post
I suppose these sorts of words are simply unwelcome imports - a bit like A-B Budweiser.

Welcomed by the ignorant and shunned by the cognoscenti.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, sorry I started something! Wink

Hey, I just may be able to chat for 20 minutes or so because my meeting doesn't start until 1:30 EST. See you all there!

posted Hide Post
Originally posted by jheem: I had never heard of the Dorking fowl. Thanks.

You, poor fellow, were terribly deprived in childhood. From Edward Lear, The Courtship of the Yonghy-Bongy-Bo:
"Lady Jingly answered sadly,
And her tears began to flow, -
"Your proposal comes too late,
Mr Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo!
I would be your wife most gladly!"
(Here she twirled her fingers madly)
"But in England I've a mate!
Yes! You've asked me far too late,
For in England I've a mate,
Mr Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo!
Mr Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo!

"Mr Jones -(his name is Handel, -
Handel Jones, Esquire, & Co.)
Dorking fowls delights to send,
Mr Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo!
Keep, oh! keep your chairs and candle,
And your jug without a handle, -
I can merely be your friend!
- Should my Jones more Dorkings send,
I will give you three, my friend!
Mr Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo!
Mr Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordnerd,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder -- a trifle late, I realise.

Since today is the second Saturday in the month, our regular chat should be held in a few hours at 1800 BST, or 1200 CST. See posts above if you are in a different time zone.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Arnie,

Today is the third Saturday of the month. I had us down to chat next weekend. Am I wrong?

Richard English

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Well, Jerry T, arnie, BobHale, and I were online for a bit today, but not much happened. And then we all left.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it looks like I was confused. There was no chat last week so I assumed it was due this week. In the event I didn't turn up until late anyway, and had a short chat with Bob and jheem,having missed Jerry.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now tomorrow is the scheduled chat, so I hope to see some of you there! Just go to Go and then Chat Rooms, and you'll be able to join us. We would love to see some of the new people there. And, Hab, since you wandered into the Chat Room this week while Richard and I were talking about his upcoming trip to Chicago, now you know how to access it. Please join us tomorrow!

The chat will start at:

10:00 a.m. PST
11:00 a.m. MST
12:00 noon CST
1:00 p.m. EST
18:00 GMT

I hope to see all of you there! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I hope to be there - but would remind those to whom it matters that the time is 1800 BST, not 1800 GMT.

It is, in fact, 1700 GMT, which equates to 1800 on the clocks in the UK right now!

For those who are still confused, when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 6...:-)

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, sorry...I will never get those times right!

posted Hide Post
Sorry, kalleh, but all this is new to me. How do I participate in the chat that begins soon? You may reply to me at markmywords48@yahoo.com or at mark.mattison@broadpark.no

Posts: 120 | Location: Oslo, NorwayReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Check your yahoo mail, mark!

Posts: 2623 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just click
Go>ChatRooms

Then Click on the wordcraft chat room and you'll be in.

At least that's the theory !

posted Hide Post
Tried three times. No go. No connection.

posted Hide Post
Very frustrating: trying five times for a half hour, but in spite of the message "connecting" there was no connection. Thanks for the invitations from Chris and Kalleh and husband, and I hope to participate another time.

Has anyone else had similar problems connecting?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You need to speak to arnie - he's been helping sort problems like this one out

I'll ask if anyone in the chatroom knows the answer

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
What browser are you using ? SOme people had problems with certain browsers though I can't recall the details.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Unfortunately arnie isn't with us today. But, you may need to give your name first. Does it ask you to do that anywhere? I think we did that the first time, and after that it was just a matter of pointing and clicking. We'd love to have you!

Hab, I see that you are online. How about chatting with us? We're having fun!

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob. If the chat is still in progress, I'd appreciate you asking about that.

posted Hide Post
I get the message that it is connecting, and the hourglass symbol, but that's it. Nothing more happens.

posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I don't know what a browser is in Norwegian (and all my computer ikons and directions are in Norwegian). What is a browser used for, and what are names of browsers that are common? That might tell me something. I can't ask you what "browser" is in Norwegian!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Netscape
Internet Explorer
Opera

etc

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In particular, Opera, which is my browser of choice; I know that it is very popular in Norway. Alas, the chat system does not support Opera, so you'll have to use Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla.

If you are behind a commercial firewall you might also have problems connectimg.

posted Hide Post
Oh, okay: Explorer.