Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    I Like Big Butts...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Like Big Butts... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Remember Sir Mix-A-Lot's song, "I Like Big Butts?"

Well, no wonder! They indicate the intelligence of women. Ladies, have you heard the latest about the The brain/butt theory? A new study of 16,000 women and girls (in the November 11 Evolution and Human Behavior, titled, "Waist-hip ratio and cognitive ability: Is gluteofemoral fat a privileged store of neurodevelopmental resources?") reported that ladies with big butts are smarter. Furthermore, their kids are smarter, too. The authors are William D. Lassek, from the department of epidemiology at the U. of Pittsburgh, and Steven J.C. Gaulin, from the department of anthropology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Here is the abstract:
quote:
Upper-body fat has negative effects and lower-body fat has positive effects on the supply of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential for neurodevelopment. Thus, waist-hip ratio (WHR), a useful proxy for the ratio of upper-body fat to lower-body fat, should predict cognitive ability in women and their offspring.

Moreover, because teenage mothers and their children compete for these resources, their cognitive development should be compromised, but less so for mothers with lower WHRs. These predictions are supported by data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Controlling for other correlates of cognitive ability, women with lower WHRs and their children have significantly higher cognitive test scores, and teenage mothers with lower WHRs and their children are protected from cognitive decrements associated with teen births. These findings support the idea that WHR reflects the availability of neurodevelopmental resources and thus offer a new explanation for men's preference for low WHR.

Ladies, we are exonerated! We no longer have to feel irritated by our pear shaped bodies.

Question: If men prefer lower WHRs, who likes the higher ones (the runway models or the "Twiggy" types)? Since men prefer curves, is it women who prefer the pencil-thin model types? Or is it all a ruse?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24299 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It's the designers and photographers who prefer the pencil-thin girls . . . those who usually aren't straight men.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the designers and photographers who prefer the pencil-thin girls . . . those who usually aren't straight men.

I agree. Women with bodies that resemble those of teenage boys will be admired by men who like the looks of teenage boys. I very much prefer the looks of women who look like women!

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure that's the whole story. That's such a small percentage of people in our society to be controlling fashion, female beauties, and the like. While it's part of the story, I suspect the reason is more complicated, though I am not sure what it is.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The study looks to be a candidate for the Ig Nobel Prize.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's hilarious, arnie. I loved this linguistics winner for 2007:
quote:
LINGUISTICS: Juan Manuel Toro, Josep B. Trobalon and Núria Sebastián-Gallés, of Universitat de Barcelona, for showing that rats sometimes cannot tell the difference between a person speaking Japanese backwards and a person speaking Dutch backwards.
REFERENCE: "Effects of Backward Speech and Speaker Variability in Language Discrimination by Rats," Juan M. Toro, Josep B. Trobalon and Núria Sebastián-Gallés, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, vol. 31, no. 1, January 2005, pp 95-100.
Though, I also liked the 2007 Literature winner:
quote:
LITERATURE: Glenda Browne of Blaxland, Blue Mountains, Australia, for her study of the word "the" -- and of the many ways it causes problems for anyone who tries to put things into alphabetical order.
REFERENCE: "The Definite Article: Acknowledging 'The' in Index Entries," Glenda Browne, The Indexer, vol. 22, no. 3 April 2001, pp. 119-22.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's such a small percentage of people in our society to be controlling fashion, female beauties, and the like.

But to those for whom fashion is an important item, the very small numbers who dictate fashion have massive influence. Just look how quickly colours change when the fashion industry dictates that a new colour is "in fashion".

It's all a massive con, of course - but it's a con that many people, of both sexes, fall for.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Remember Sir Mix-A-Lot's song, "I Like Big Butts?"

The title of the song in question is actually "Baby Got Back", which itself is interesting, since it isn't talking about her "back", it's talking about her "backside".

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
On the breast of a lady named Gail
Was tattooed the price of her tail,
And on her behind,
For the sake of the blind,
Was the same information ..... in Braille.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall that this lady called Gail
Was a hooker - her sex was for sale.
And I'm sorry to say
That because THEY would pay
Her customers sent HER to gaol.

See my posting today in another thread, on prostitution.

Richard English

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll buy the WHR as being so, but why do so many men find gobs of breast fat to be alluring? Women who have nothing more than mammary glands on their chests can lactate as well as the fat ones - or better!

Any idea, Kelleh-pygous? Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Here's a short list of Garment Titles I dreamed up. Offered to the Fashion Industry free of charge ..

Blunderwear .... proper attire for those who commit gross errors

Thunderwear ..... Meteorologists' uniform

Plunderwear ..... for Pirates

Wonderwear ..... for those who have lost it

.... more ???

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
No, Jerry, Thunderwear is a garment that has an activated charcoal lining and noise-damping foam for those with a flatulence problem. Roll Eyes

There used to be a children's "training pants" product called "Under-oos." When they leaked, it was "under-ooze."

When you break up with your partner who's been wearing your undergarments, it's Asunderwear.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post