Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Thanksgiving
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I hope all you Americans had as lovely a Thanksgiving as I did.

I did learn something about the English at Thanksgiving. My brother was working in England last year, and I asked what he did on Thanksgiving. He said he worked as usual, but that surprisingly they had a black Friday, too. Is that true? What is the explanation?

Posts: 24131 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The explanation is simple. Thanksgiving is a purely American holiday as it is about giving thanks for arriving safely in the New World a concept that is meaningless outside the US. Black Friday on the other hand is about the almighty dollar and that translates very easily into the almighty pound, euro, yen or rupee.

Posts: 8396 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I knew that Thanksgiving is about the U.S. only. However, for us Thanksgiving has signified the beginning of the Christmas season, thus the whole black Friday scenario. When countries don't celebrate Thanksgiving, it is hard to see how they see it as the beginning of Christmas too, since they don't recognize Thanksgiving. I think that's why my brother had questioned it, too.

Posts: 24131 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Wow! You start Christmas as late as thanksgiving? On British TV the shops start advertising for Christmas at the start of November.

Posts: 8396 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post