Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    New EU rules affecting our site
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New EU rules affecting our site Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I received this from our Social Strata vendor. We do currently use the Eve platform, and we surely target members from the EU, so, if I want to avoid "severe penalities," it looks like I should ask them to move our platform to Hoop.la, whatever that is. Here is the letter I received:

Dear Eve Customer-

On May 25, 2018, the European Union (“EU”) is enacting new regulations (“GDPR”) concerning user privacy online. You can read more about GDPR here:

https://www.eugdpr.org/

https://wp.nyu.edu/compliance_...le-eu-personal-data/

You are subject to GDPR rules if your organization is based in the EU OR if you are directly targeting EU customers with your Eve community site. “Targeting” means that you are marketing/selling directly to EU customers. Simply having registered members in the EU would not subject you to the regulation, per our understanding (though please do not take that as legal advice— please do your own due diligence).

While Social Strata is a US company that does not directly market to the EU, in our role as processor for our customer sites, we need to ensure that we fully comply with GDPR. Our current community platform, Hoop.la, offers all of the tools you need to comply with GDPR- including offering the ability for users to delete their own accounts and download their personal data, amongst many other things.

Our Eve platform, which you are using, is a legacy product that is no longer under active development. While Eve will allow you to comply with many of the requirements of GDPR, it is not designed to comply with ALL of the GDPR requirements and thus if you fall under the domain of GDPR regulations, it is likely not a suitable option for you.

Whether you are subject to GDPR or not, we want to give all Eve customers the opportunity to use our GDPR-compliant platform- Hoop.la. We are offering a free upgrade to Hoop.la for all of our Eve customers and we will match your current monthly fee rate that you have in place for your Eve account. Thus, you can move to Hoop.la with no fee increase and no migration fee. We’ll make sure your plan limits are the same or better than you have now, as well.

We require that you choose one of the following options below:

1. Migrate your Eve site to Hoop.la as soon as possible, subject to scheduling that is mutually agreeable between you and Social Strata. Your monthly fee would remain the same and your pay no migration fee to move to Hoop.la.

2. Stay on Eve, if you can assert that your organization is not based in the EU and does not "target" EU customers with its Eve community site.

The penalties associated with GDPR are quite severe, so we urge you to fully consider your options as soon as possible.

We require a response by May 24, 2018. If we have not heard from you by then, your site will be suspended until a response is received.

If you have questions or comments, please contact us at https://www.socialstrata.com/support or via email at support@socialstrata.com.

Sincerely,

Social Strata
https://www.socialstrata.com

Posts: 24137 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Gee, it's too bad there isn't a near-by lawyer you can run this past.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6194 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, well. He agrees with me. We do, however, want to find out if we lose the content on this platform. That would be a pity.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've asked the question about keeping our archives on their discussion board. I suppose it makes no difference, though. From my reading of the regulation we need to switch because we have data from people from the EU.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
If you switch, should I cover my computer to avoid dust? Should I coat it with anti-static grease?

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I contacted them and everything will be switched over so that's good. I have no idea what it will look like, but we'll find out, I guess.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's official now. I've just signed for us to switch from Eve to Hoop.la. We'll see how it changes.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We'll see how this new system goes. I hope it will be a seamless move, though I am wondering from the emails I am receiving about it.

posted Hide Post
Just seeing this thread for the first time - does Wordcrafter really “sell” stuff? Are we “Marketing”? it’s after the fact but it feels as if there are some strange definitions being used...

Posts: 5856 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the same think, Hab. What does the resident lawyer think?

Posts: 5140 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We don't sell anything, but I read the law and we do recruit their members. I thought, with the high costs of penalties, it would be safe. But I am beginning to wonder.

Shu thinks we should convert - lawyers are always conservative about things like that. At first it seemed like a no-brainer, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that you don't recruit anybody, any more than you "recruit" a mole who digs a hole in your lawn. The lawn is the there. The mole comes or not. The board is there. People come or they don't. No selling, no recruiting. I shall watch eagerly the test cases that arise in European courts as this poorly defined nonsense continues.

Posts: 8411 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems to me that you don't recruit anybody,

Glad to hear that. I was worried this might be a cult -- and I abhor Kool-aid.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I think the bigger issue is that we collect their data. And I don't know if that can be changed in the current Eve system. Frankly, I don't care if we have their data or not, though it is nice to know what country they are from. Also, we really don't get many people from the EU, since the UK is no longer part of it.

I am missing arnie these days. He absolutely would have some ideas about this, I think. I hope it is just that he is too busy or something.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll do my best in this new platform conversion, but I am hardly an IT person. They keep sending me emails about "getting my design team together," and of course we don't have one. I am more than a little worried about this transfer.

posted Hide Post
Isn't there some other way to run Wordcraft? Some simple usegroup-like thingy?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

I am missing arnie these days. He absolutely would have some ideas about this, I think. I hope it is just that he is too busy or something.
I emailed him and he replied that since his illness he hasn't participated here. He said he'll return. Good to know he's still above ground!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I hope so, Geoff. Bob said he'd try to help me with the switch. I am just not as computer savvy as some. Hopefully it will work out okay. I did find out that it makes no difference if you charge your members or not - the issue is the information given as they sign up. So I think I have to do it.

If it doesn't work, I guess we could make that Wordcraft FB page work. But let's hope this works.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've seen the new site - it looks similar, but not as detailed. Indeed, they took off Kim's picture and those words completely. I am having a webinar with them tomorrow so hopefully they'll be able to make it better.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Had my webinar. They will change everything to be like this site, for a charge of course. When he started showing me how to do it, I realized the charge is worth it! He can incorporate Kim's photo, so that's good. But what can't be incorporated is the dictionary on the cover and all the archives. Do you know how long it took Wordcrafter to do that? Oh. My. It made the person showing me ask, "How many EU members do you have?" When I realized that the UK isn't in the EU anymore, I think we have none, right? I am not sure we need to do this. He is going to talk with the "powers that be" at their company.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Good lord. Good luck, Kalleh.

Posts: 2315 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I told the Social Strata people that we only have UK members, not EU members, and since the UK is no longer part of the EU, we should be good. However, they reminded me that the UK is not officially out until 2019. Back to square one.

But - sometimes lawyers can be helpful! My daughter and husband had read the new EU law, but since it isn’t their specialty, they didn’t want to make a recommendation. However, my daughter took it to their privacy attorney, who read the law and looked at our site. She says we should be good. She suggests adding something to our terms and services, and Catherine sent me a link for that. So I’ll add something and we’ll stay on this platform. I am happy about that! I had been thinking I might have to shut this place down.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!
I would hate it if we had to go to FB Eek

Posts: 2315 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course now the lawyer is asking further questions, like where we store our members information. I hope we pass on that. They are only open to the administrators here (mostly me), so I think we should be good. Can't wait to get past this.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Finally, we contacted a privacy attorney and after reviewing our site, our members and our policies and procedures, she decided that we were fine and could stay on this platform. No moves.
Whew!

She did suggest we update our terms of service and gave us some suggested language. Arnie had written our first terms of service notice when we were having trouble with spammers. I'll just change it.