Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordcraft Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know we are slow - and I know I am part of it. Life has just been very busy for me. No, I haven't replaced it with FB - I hardly ever post there either. I do tweet every so often, but mostly about politics.

I also know that on these forums, slowness begets slowness. As Geoff had recently mentioned, there are only a few of us now. I'll give it a little while, but maybe it's time to say goodbye? It would be sad. We've been pretty active since July 2002. Many have come and gone. A few have died. We've had good times, though:

Remember our chats?

We had two gatherings, as well - one in England and one in Chicago.

We had a couple Halloween parties where we dressed up as someone. I remember once I was Sir Joseph Swan (remember our arguments about who really invented the light bulb?).

There has been our ongoing obsession with "epicaricacy. Indeed, when we had our gathering in England, we all met up in Oxford and had lunch with the editor-in-chief of the OED. I remember pestering him about why "epicaricacy" isn't in the OED.

Speaking of OED, OEDILF developed from Wordcraft. Remember CJ? Quite the guy.

Yes, we've had a good run here. I would hate to see it end.

Posts: 24137 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
What do you mean "OUR obsession"? Big Grin

And the "who invented the lightbulb" discussion was rather heavily weighted with, as I recall, as in many of the old discussions, a sole dissenting voice.

I too would be sad to see it all go but for a long time now it's been scarcely a shadow of its former self. Perhaps it is really time to accept that to everything there is a season.

Posts: 8414 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Maybe replace it with a closed FB group so that at least those of us who care enough don't lose touch. I speak as someone who has lost touch with far too many old friends that I once spoke with regularly. Of course being in China doesn't help.

posted Hide Post
I've looked at AWAD recently, and it's much diminished too. I suspect that so-called "social media" is responsible in both cases.
Bob's suggestion makes sense, so long as we can still invite potential members.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Closed groups just mean that anyone can see them but can only join and post by invitation. Anyone who wants to join can ask an existing member to invite them.