Wordcraft Community Home Page
Syntax question

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/1290060636

October 19, 2011, 19:53
Kalleh
Syntax question
I was reading the "severe" weather report for our area and found this wording awkward:
quote:
...likely worse than what was experienced with the late September storm.
Were I to write that sentence, I'd not use the "what." What does the "what" add to that sentence? Or is it just a matter of style?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
October 20, 2011, 07:17
zmježd
What does the "what" add to that sentence? Or is it just a matter of style?

That's funny, it's not the "what" I find distracting, but the "with". Experience, for me, is a transitive verb. It would be good to see the whole sentence,

"... likely worse than the storm we experienced late last September."

With the sentence as you quoted it, it just seems awkward what with the passive voice and the "with". I sure others will have different complaints.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 20, 2011, 07:46
zmježd
OK,. I did what I should've done first, googled it.

quote:
Impacts ... large and battering waves will result in flooding of areas near the lake ... likely worse than what was experienced with the late september storm.

So the antecedent for "what" is "flooding of areas near the lake". So, now I'll rewrite the sentence:

"Impacts: large and battering waves may result in the flooding of areas near the lake, which is likely to be worse than that which was experienced late last September."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 20, 2011, 20:27
Kalleh
Ah, that's much better.

It came up on one of my apps, and now it's not there so it's a good thing you found it.
October 21, 2011, 08:17
bethree5
still too wordy for weather reporting IMO. I like, "may result in the flooding of areas near the lake, likely worse than that experienced late last September."

ah we are all editors at heart
October 21, 2011, 16:01
<Proofreader>
Or, simply, "If you can't swim, RUN!"
October 21, 2011, 20:03
Kalleh
I mostly wondered about that use of "what." I'd seen it before, but I've never liked using it that way.
October 24, 2011, 08:29
wordmatic
...likely worse than the late September floods.

WM