Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Dan Brown fans read no further!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Brown fans read no further!!! Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I'm a bit of a Dan Brown hater myself. I once tried to read The Da Vinci Code but gave up less than a quarter of the way through which means that it was added to the very very short list of books that I have failed to complete.
I would write down for your amusement the myriad reasons that I think he's a terrible writer - but why reinvent the wheel.

Here is one of the most sarcastic bits of writing I've seen in a long time that does the job perfectly well.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Lost Symbol and The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences (hat-tip to Language Log).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Those are brilliant, arnie. Some of them are funnier than Terry Pratchett. Shame they're not meant to be...

My favourites are 16, 14b and 8.

(You don't think it is Pratchett, do you, subversively writing comedy disguised as adventure?)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm amused by the phrase, "...her precarious body..." Is "precarious" misspelled? Should it be pre-caryous, meaning prior to having cell membranes? Wink

I read "The Da Vinci Code" and was entertained. I wasn't looking for Great Literature and didn't get it, but I did have fun with it. I read "Angels and Demons" and found myself suffering unwilling suspension of disbelief.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Brown's Digital Fortress had so many errors of fact and bad writing that I should have never had to read another one of his books, but I read The Da Vinci Code to see what all the hubbub was about. It certainly was not the style or the plot.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading Steve Berry's The Venetian Betrayal. He's like Brown in that he writes thrillers based on historical fact mixed with conspiracy theory-type fiction. If you like Brown you'll like him. Anyway, a big part of the book is that the letters ZH are "Old Greek" for "life". OK, ζῆ is the imperative of ζῶ "to live", that's fine. He talks about this in the writer's note at the end of the book, too.

But then he goes on to say "The noun "life" is more accurately ΣΦΠ." Wait, what? We need a vowel!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,