Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Robert Hartwell Fiske strikes me as a prig and a bully
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Hartwell Fiske strikes me as a prig and a bully Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I can't say that I've ever heard of Robert Hartwell Fiske before, but this review doesn't exactly inspire me to rush to buy his book.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He works on The Vocabula Review. Here's an interview:

quote:
Robert Fiske is very vocal about his dislike of descriptivists. “Descriptivists and laxicographers have really had their day. I really want to upset them. I want them to know that their purpose in life is really questionable,“ Fiske said.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, he's pretty much a linguistic troll. I have his book. It's part of my prescriptivist collection.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So you don't prescribe his book? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
NOt eveen if it's inscribed?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's quite some book apparently. No thanks. There are too many like that out there. It seems to me there are way more prescriptivist books that descriptivist ones.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post